• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is This PVC Damage or Something Else

12 posts in this topic

I am seeking some assistance in determining if this coin has PVC damage or if this is just a natural effect on this coin. The pronounced coloring coming through on the photos is not evident when looking at the coin in hand with a magnifier. In hand it just has the white/gray cloudy like appearance. The Fifty Cent and Quarter in the same set have similar markings.

Thank you.

1953Canadian1Obv.jpg

1953Canadian1Rev.jpg

I don't know if that is PVC or not. It looks like something I had on one of my coins. A simple rinse in acetone will cure it nicely if it is the same thing. Underneath, I'd wager you have a pretty devent prooflike dollar.

Thank you for the reply. Actually after posting this I went back through some older posts about PVC, etc. and I now have one of the Quarters in acetone to see if this comes off. Question - Does acetone have any ill effect on copper/pennies?

rbrown4

This is typical cello hazing that is super common on the PL coins from the sets. Acetone will not remove it, but MS70 and Ez-Est will.

Thank you, I have never heard of it. With this hazing on the coins will that cause them to be no-graded? Should I remove the haze? Also where can I find MS70 and EZ-EST.

Thanks,

rbrown4

Thank you, I have never heard of it. With this hazing on the coins will that cause them to be no-graded? Should I remove the haze? Also where can I find MS70 and EZ-EST.

The coins will still grade with the haze, but they will likely not grade as high as if they did not have it.

Most coin shops will have Ez-Est and a fair amount will have MS70. You can order it online from http://www.brent-krueger.com/

Well, I picked up some MS70 and eZest today at the coin show in Baltimore. The MS70 completely cleared up all of the haze that was on the Canadian coins. Thanks for the tip and the advice.

rbrown4

Finally received the grading results of this 1953 Canadian Dollar which I had removed the haze from using MS 70. Came back a MS 63. See "after" picture in the previous post.

Another question, with the ANA Grading Standards what would be the equivalent more or less of a PL 61 in Canadian.

Thanks,

Rey