• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting online payment option

7 posts in this topic

I've heard about the escrow option for big ticket items on Ebay. My feeling is that if you cannot trust the seller and think escrow is necessary, I just would pass on the item altogether and look elsewhere.

dragon

Seems expensive. Using a credit card for a $1500 purchase will run $90. I think I would rather just use a credit card directly or thru PayPal or C2it and have the protection that comes with using a credit card for free.

• Administrator

Well, you could split the fees with the buyer. Afterall, it protects them too. And although you might not get your product back, the buyer might not get their money either. Arbitration would settle what happens to their money.

The fees do seem high though. I'm surprised they can't offer this service for less money. But then, I don't really have a good grasp of the costs involved.

I've heard about the escrow option for big ticket items on Ebay. My feeling is that if you cannot trust the seller and think escrow is necessary, I just would pass on the item altogether and look elsewhere.

dragon

Agreed. If I'm buying a big ticket item that would make me think about escrow, I'd want to purchase it from someone that I trust already. Certified material has some protection, but I would want a trusted dealer's additional opinion that what I'm getting matches what I want to be getting.

Also, beware of "fake" escrow services that will take your money and run. A friend of mine almost got burned on a Dell laptop, because the seller wanted him to use some weird escrow service that only accepted e-gold. E-gold even has a warning about fake escrow services:

http://www.e-gold.com/unsecure/alert.html

So make sure it is a legit escrow before you use it!