• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions Wanted: Bearded Goddess eBay Listing

26 posts in this topic

OK folks, most of the people here have heard my tale about the Bearded Goddess -- and I'm just about ready to shut up about it -- because she is going to a new owner -- via an eBay Auction that starts on Thursday night and will conclude on Sunday April 1st.

What I am about to post under this paragraph is the first draft text from the listing, and I would like your critical opinions on it before I start the listing. The formatting is a bit off because it is cut and pasted from my web-authoring program, and I am in the process of taking new images, so there are no pictures beyond what has already been shown here on the NGC boards -- concentrate on the text for now.

Thanks in advance.

-- George

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1807 50/20 Capped Bust Half

Overton O-111 "Bearded Goddess"

For your consideration: an 1807 50/20 Capped Bust Half Dollar, Overton Variety O-111 "Bearded Goddess".

The 1807 "Bearded Goddess" is one of the few die varieties of the Capped Bust Half Dollar that has it's own separate listing in the renowned Red Book and other pricing guides. It has the distinction of being not only the first year of issue for this type of coin, having a mint error (the 50 over 20 on the reverse), but also shows an interesting die crack that runs almost across the entire coin, but is most prominent in the field between Liberty's chin and shoulder, giving the appearance of a thin "beard". It also looks like drool according to my kids, but "Drooling Goddess" doesn't have the same Jene' Se Qua. Also note the significant die crack that runs amongst the stars on the left side of the obverse. The Bearded Goddess has a rarity value of "R.5" according to most references, (some say R.4+) which means there are estimated to be only around 50 or so of these in existence.

Chances are you won't see another one of these come around for a while, please bid accordingly if you wish to have one in your collection. This is a first year type coin with tons of character and an easily recognized variety amongst CBH collectors, they all know what you are talking about when you say "Bearded Goddess".

This is one of those rare coins that turns up in a strange place -- this time in the bottom of a cigar box that I purchased at an estate sale in 1993. I don't know Her history prior to that, it has been in my collection for the last 14 years, and it is now time for her to move on. I'm pretty sure that the previous owner didn't know what it was, as I said, she was living in a Hav-A-Tampa box with a bunch of culls, medals, tokens and world coins among other things. There were quite a few slabbed gold coins at the sale, and I suppose that was the gentleman's collecting speciality -- the Goddess was the red-headed stepchild that was sent to live in the tobacco orphanage with the other "junk".

Unfortunately, because of some curious and ignorant people at the estate sale that insisted on coming up and shaking the box like they were sifting rocks and dirt, it picked up a few fresh scratches on the obverse. I took it out as soon as I got home, rinsed it in denatured alcohol and distilled water, gently blotted it dry, frowned at the scratches, and put Her in a 2x2 where she has rested comfortably for the past decade and a half... that's right, she isn't slabbed, this is a raw coin.

I shoot straight in ALL of my eBay listings, and you are about to see one of the straightest shots ever in an eBay coin listing... probably right through the top of my own foot... stand back.

THIS COIN WAS EVALUATED BY A TOP TIER THIRD PARTY GRADING COMPANY AT THE ANA SHOW IN CHARLOTTE AND HAS BEEN DEEMED UNSUITABLE FOR CERTIFIED SLABBING. There ya go -- don't see that in a coin auction on eBay much, do you?

That's right, she won't make the grade for encapsulation beyond "Genuine" and "(whatever the judged grade is) Details". The reasons given were for the fresh obverse scratches and a VERY old cleaning. The cleaning hairlines are pretty much concealed by a layer of patina, the fresh scratches are only distracting under magnification and bright light. Time will probably reduce the visibility of these even more -- they are not very deep.

Again, sending this coin in to NGC or PCGS will only cost you fees and cause frustration -- it will ALMOST CERTAINLY come back "body bagged". ANACS and NCS will encapsulate the coin with notations, but it will not be certified.

Shocked at my honesty? Don't be, check my feedback.

I'm not going to assign a condition grade to this coin beyond "VF". I have had different opinions on the grade from several sources and none was below VF -- some were higher, noting that these coins have notoriously weak strikes, and get cut a little slack in the grading process. I am not enough of an expert on Capped Bust Halves to render an exact numerical grade to this coin. I will, however, provide you with ample pictures so you can make your own judgement of condition and wear.

If you have it in your head to buy this coin, doctor it and then flip it for a profit, good luck! -- Be aware that quite a few Capped Bust Half dealers and collectors have seen this coin in person and/or now have high-rez pictures in it's current state on file -- I have been showing it around the community for the past 2 months as I was trying to decide what to do with it. This is a R.5 coin that gets a lot of attention when it comes on the market, and any sudden changes in appearance almost certainly will be detected. Ow! I just shot myself in the top of my other foot!

******SPECIAL RULES FOR THIS AUCTION --- PLEASE READ CAREFULLY******

The high bidder has the option of returning the coin to me within 5 days of receipt with proper notification that it will be coming back if you think I have not represented it properly in this listing. The Buyer is responsible for shipping and FULL INSURANCE FOR THE FINAL SELLING PRICE both ways if it is returned. If you decide to keep the coin after receiving it, I'd like to know that too, in the form of POSITIVE FEEDBACK and a note that you will be keeping it. I will hold your CERTIFIED FUNDS payment in my account until I know you are keeping it. I WILL NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL FOR THIS ITEM. CASHIERS CHECK FROM A US BANK IS THE ONLY ACCEPTED PAYMENT. I WILL ONLY SHIP IT TO THE UNITED STATES. My apologies to the international members of eBay -- If you truly desire to own this coin, make arrangements with a friend in the States to take possession for you, I WILL NOT SHIP THIS COIN INTERNATIONALLY.

Thanks for looking and Good Luck bidding!

I like it. Most who focus on CBHs won't bother read it anyway, because they already know the drill. I do think you should bold, or somehow highlight the shipping charges and return policy so that if someone doesn't care to read it all, they can quickly focus on those topics.

Yeah, I was thinking it's a bit wordy... but I wanted to make sure that potential buyers know exactly what is going on with the coin.

I'll probably lose the A.D.D. bidders about half way through it and have to answer a ton of questions anyway, cest la vie on the 'Bay.

The important stuff is bold in the actual listing -- didn't feel like reformating it here on the boards.

I haven't read the other responses yet, but I have several points for you.

1) The use of "For your consideration" reads to me like a carnival barker and not like a legitimate coin sale.

2) The 50/20 reverse is not a Mint error, it is a variety.

3) "Jene' Se Qua" appears to be a bastardization of the French je ne sais quois and the mis-use of this would truly turn me away from the auction. However, it might be another language.

4) An R5 rarity rating has an estimate of survivorship of 31-80 pieces while an R4 has an estimated 81-200 pieces surviving. Therefore, an R4+ has most likey 100 or so pieces extant.

5) The "Bearded Goddess" is offered at auction or as a fixed-price coin fairly often, so folks will see it again rather soon if they are in the market for an example.

6) Your description of acquisition is directly at odds with what you wrote to us on these boards when you first joined them. Here is your ebay description-

This is one of those rare coins that turns up in a strange place -- this time in the bottom of a cigar box that I purchased at an estate sale in 1993. I don't know Her history prior to that, it has been in my collection for the last 14 years, and it is now time for her to move on. I'm pretty sure that the previous owner didn't know what it was, as I said, she was living in a Hav-A-Tampa box with a bunch of culls, medals, tokens and world coins among other things. There were quite a few slabbed gold coins at the sale, and I suppose that was the gentleman's collecting speciality -- the Goddess was the red-headed stepchild that was sent to live in the tobacco orphanage with the other "junk".

Unfortunately, because of some curious and ignorant people at the estate sale that insisted on coming up and shaking the box like they were sifting rocks and dirt, it picked up a few fresh scratches on the obverse. I took it out as soon as I got home, rinsed it in denatured alcohol and distilled water, gently blotted it dry, frowned at the scratches, and put Her in a 2x2 where she has rested comfortably for the past decade and a half... that's right, she isn't slabbed, this is a raw coin.

Here are your own words from your post-

Many many years ago, my great great grandfather was a merchant marine, traveling the world -- picking up coins in various ports around the world and giving them to his son when he returned as momentos, they were kept in an old cloth bag with silk lining. Somewhere along the way, a few Capped Halves made it into the bag. Eventually the bag was handed down to my Mother, and then to me when she died in 1977.

Other than a passing fancy with Mercury Dimes about 15 years ago after I found a moderately rare one while metal detecting, I have never been a serious coin collector, so I didn't put much interest into to the coins I have until recently. I pulled out the old bag of my great great grandfather's coins and spread them out on the dining room table, then cracked open a fresh edition of the Red Book to see what was what and perhaps sell off some of the ones that don't interest me and upgrade my Merc collection. Most are pretty common world and US coins from the early 1800's to the early 1900's. But one really caught my eye...

These two statements of yours are mutually exclusive and their usage would make me question your truthfullness.

7) I like this, however-

THIS COIN WAS EVALUATED BY A TOP TIER THIRD PARTY GRADING COMPANY AT THE ANA SHOW IN CHARLOTTE AND HAS BEEN DEEMED UNSUITABLE FOR CERTIFIED SLABBING. There ya go -- don't see that in a coin auction on eBay much, do you?

8) The listing is much too long.

In all truth George, I'll doubt many will read it other than us. It is very commendable that you have told all you tell in the "essay". I would buy from you once just on that.

Is your coin a 111b rather than a 111? Might make a difference from a legal standpoint. Good luck with your auction and I hope your coin brings all you wish for it to bring.

Jim

No probs, Tom:

1) The "For Your Consideration" thing is something I just put on most of my eBay listings, dunno why... I think I saw it somewhere else and it sounded cool at the time.

2) Thanks for the correction on the 50/20 thing, I'll fix it.

3) Yeah, I mangled the French, did a Google with a phonetic and found some lame listing with it speeeeeled that way, I have already dropped the drooling goddess stuff from the listing in the interest of length, sometimes I just get on a roll and can't stop typing. Fortunately, I also can't stop editing, so most of it gets the hook before I'm done.

4) Thanks for the correction on the rarity ratings -- not sure where I pulled that from -- I think it was from a post across the street, I should have confirmed it, which in a way I did by posting the listing here to have you guys check it out. -- Corrected.

5) They do come up now and then, but I was unable to find any on eBay for the past while, which is what I was implying... again, I cut most of that section out in the interest of length.

6) My initial acquisition attribution was incorrect, I thought I had corrected it later in another post, but may not have. After that first post, (which was shortly after I had "re-discovered" the Goddess and found out that it might be something special) I went back and dug through some of my paperwork from 14 years ago. I found a list I had made of some of what was in the cigar box after I got it home, (The list was of the US coins that I could find the prices of in the Red Book -- didn't have anything but a 4 or 5 year old Red Book at the time, and no Internet.) I wrote it down as "1807 Capped Half Dollar" -- since I don't have two 1807s I'm now about 99.99% sure it came from the estate sale box. I had a couple of other CBH's that were in the old silk bag, which I had gotten out and gone through at the same time I was sorting the stuff from the cigar box and I mind-melded the two different "lots" together over the years. I had bought a bunch of supplies and dug out all of my coins to go over them and put them in 2x2's and put all of the halves I had at the time together in one box when I was done. I guess it should be a lesson to me to a) keep better track of the records of my purchases, and b) not try to place aquisition history unless I have at least tried to confirm what my beer-addled brain has mashed together as "history" over the years. In fact, I had totally forgotten I had even made that list, but it is in my handwriting.

7) I figured I'd save the buyer some hassles, I know how disappointing getting a coin rejected can be -- I went through it with this same coin this past Friday in Charlotte and was sorta bummed out. Deep down I saw it coming, but I had that small glimmer of hope... frown.gif

8) Yup. I got that...too long -- trimmed it down a good bit already.

Thank you for everyone's input on the listing, I have done a good bit of selling on eBay during the past couple of years, but not many coins, and I wanted to make sure I had it fine tuned for best effect. Running it past the group here was the quickest and most effective way to accomplish that. To somehow try and return the favor I will offer FREE Shipping and Insurance to anyone here on the NGC boards if you are the highest bidder, just let me know what your board name is if you win.

Please note that in the grand scheme of things the origin of the Bearded Goddess matters little. However, with so many scams on ebay and the fact that you do not take PayPal, which I do not accept in my auctions, either, there will be folks who might be hesitant to trust an unknown seller. Additionally, since many folks read the forums, but do not post on them, you may have had a number of possible buyers read both versions of the acquisition. Therefore, a variable acquisition history in combination with no PayPal and all the scams on ebay might scare some folks off. I hope that was written clearly. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

~cigar box that I purchased at an estate sale~

Anytime I read these two descriptions tied together in a e-bay auction, I immediatly move on to the next listing, no hesitation, no looking back. ~click~

I WILL NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL FOR THIS ITEM. CASHIERS CHECK FROM A US BANK IS THE ONLY ACCEPTED PAYMENT.

Not only will you not take PayPal for this auction, but you won't even take a personal check or money order - even a postal money order. You want a buyer to go to their bank to get a cashiers check (which is no more safe than a money order or personal check). I'd not even consider bidding on your auction.

George , what you should ALSO realize , is that not every collector is rigid and demanding a perfect slab coin. I know it sounds incredible , but there are those who collect coins with what others call 'problems' .

You know the old "to each ....his own...." ?

You sound as though , because a TPG will not grade and holder it , it is somehow an unwanted stray . Dealers try to avoid an item that will possibly sit and not sale quickly. Ok . Don't dispair over their rejection , geez , they are only dealers ....not the final word.

Send that wonderful example to NCS , you would not believe what some of the NCS slabbed stuff has gone for....if you are impressed with it being in a slab as an authenticated item of numismatic interest...as it really is....then the small wait and cost would be a nomimnal added expense ....people put a lot more stock in authenticated items versus opinioned items .

Granted , you might not get pie-in -the-sky money for it raw , but then , who knows ....you might get pie-in-the-belly money for it after-all if she is properly 'dressed' in the right evening attire !

Rugged guys with scars can still get a date with the prom queen if they have the right attitude and grooming can't they ?

Don't just run that coin outta the house so fast....give it a chance. My mutt has been a better dog with less vet visits for weird stuff than a breed with papers I once shared . People are diverse and there are probably a group of people that search Ebay for a coins just like this one and would be willing to bid up on it against others if you continue to maintain the Honesty in the listing , BUT you PROMOTE the positive a little more.....the ad reads like it is a nice coin , but you are ready to get rid of it lightning fast ....and that sets the tone for low-ball bids as the buyers are inadvertently being told that it is ok to keep it low as you are just getting rid of it because you can't use it if it can't go into a plastic slab.

I've read your other posts on it and felt some of your enthusiasm and excitement , so I know that you aren't really just dumping it , but the example ad and the now or never approach sure 'reads ' that way to me....just my opinion ....you requested opinions.....I would feel bad if you sorta got a let-down over this find....

Promote it , give its faults in bold , but Promote it...give it a chance ....dress it in an NCS slab if proper attire is required to give it respectability....I'm sending off a set of coins to NCS this week for conservation and would have no problem 'piggy-backing' yours along with the others , we are neighbors ( Lexington) and I'm willing to make a neighborly gesture if you are interested in sending that lady in for a wardrobe make-over.

Please consider the following...you've had it this long...it won't hurt to wait a little longer , you may get more for it as , we all know.....by the time it gets back...more people will have their tax refunds ready to spend on it by then....and a properly titled and verified lady finds more open doors...what say you? confused-smiley-013.gif

All valid points since my last post.

I have actually cut the entire listing to just about nothing... the cigar box, the drooling goddess -- all that is toast at this point -- I had just logged in to the boards again to post the updated version when I saw all of the new responses, now I won't bother.

The original post was my first draft, and done under the influence of 4 cups of coffee. You guys are giving me just what I asked for, and I really do appreciate it, some of it stings a little and makes me feel a little stupid, but that is how we learn and grow, isn't it?

About the no PayPal -- this is because I'm a bit gun shy on larger value items paid through PayPal. I got burned with a chargeback when an item was allegedly "lost in the mail" by the buyer when he tried to return something before even telling me he was returning it -- somehow it slipped his mind to insure a $1000 item for an unannounced trip back. The first thing I heard about any problem with it was an email from PayPal saying my account was frozen. I had used the money to purchase something thinking everything was cool, and the balance was less than the chargeback amount when it hit. I then contacted the buyer and he told me he had shipped it back "days ago" but he had no delivery confirmation, insurance, or any proof that he actually had. PayPal hung me in the wind for MONTHS on it and in the end it still wasn't resolved to my satisfaction, they wore me down until I cried Uncle. I had all the i's dotted and t's crossed, confirmed address, copies of corresponence -- the whole bit, and they still froze my account for 60+ days, effectively shutting down my eBay income stream. I still grind my teeth when I think about it. But you know what? You guys are right, I'll just roll the dice again and I'll take PayPal on it -- it's not like it is a Lamborghini, and I have practically nothing to lose in this case (unlike the one where I got burned) -- my margin is high on this coin because of how and when I obtained it. I just won't spend the money out of my account until I know for sure it isn't coming back, which is what I was going to do with the Cashier's Check / USPMO. After doing some research, I intend to include US Postal Money Orders, but not other Money Orders because of a recent rash of counterfeit MOs that I had read horror stories about.

When it comes right down to it, if someone really wants to rip you off, they will find a way no matter how many road blocks you put up, no sense in punishing the innocent by making them jump through hoops.

I was so bummed out about the body bagging that I just sort of wandered around in a daze at the show for about an hour. At that point I just resolved to rid myself of the coin and the emotional rollercoaster I had been on since I rediscovered it. I was offered $1500 cash by 2 people at the show, I should have taken it and been done. But I had my hopes set a little higher. I figured that if I put it up on eBay I might get a bit more, but I was going to do my best to protect myself as best I could from any more of the rollercoaster ride -- I'm usually an optimistic guy, but I can almost imagine getting burned on the 'Bay as the Grand Finale to the entire journey since I turned down that much cold hard cash -TWICE- like a greedy spoonstard.

Coin -- I appreciate your offer and advice, and at this point I don't know what I'm going to do... I'm really close to not listing it on eBay right now and sending it to NCS -- but don't hold up your shipment on me... this is my albatross and I'm not sure I want to hang it around anyone else's neck at this point. I'll send you a PM later tonight.

I have a church league softball game to go to, perhaps I'll get hit in the head and it will knock some sense into me...

See, I told you I was optimistic! makepoint.gif

"have a church league softball game to go to, perhaps I'll get hit in the head and it will knock some sense into me..."

lol , ....would be a little better than a bolt of lightning , hehe ...have a good game...

also...I am sending off a bust quarter with a rather bad scratch on it as well...if ya change your mind tonight ...let me know...I'm heading out to the Dojo for a little Karate and will check back later tonight.

-John

Many valid points have been made. The only thing I have to add is that I think you will realize more for this coin if you at least have it slabbed and authenticated by NCS or ANACS.

Please note that in the grand scheme of things the origin of the Bearded Goddess matters little. However, with so many scams on ebay and the fact that you do not take PayPal, which I do not accept in my auctions, either, there will be folks who might be hesitant to trust an unknown seller. Additionally, since many folks read the forums, but do not post on them, you may have had a number of possible buyers read both versions of the acquisition. Therefore, a variable acquisition history in combination with no PayPal and all the scams on ebay might scare some folks off. I hope that was written clearly. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Understood clearly.

Hopefully the 400+ Positive Transactions with only one negative (which was 'venge-back by a non-paying buyer more than 3 years ago...) would quell most people's worries.

~cigar box that I purchased at an estate sale~

Anytime I read these two descriptions tied together in a e-bay auction, I immediatly move on to the next listing, no hesitation, no looking back. ~click~

That's cool -- I can understand how it could sound a bit shady, but that's what happened... it's very rare that I find anything worth a jack flip in those kinds of lots, this was the exception, that part of the description has been removed.

All of you just keep avoiding those cigar boxes at estate sales, I'll keep snagging them! cool.gif

How about this in the body of your listing:

RARE BEARDED GODDESS!! ONE OF A KIND! NEVER SEEN ANOTHER LIKE IT! BUY IT QUICK! WILL SELL FOR MILLIONS! L@@K AT THE PHOTOS! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what all the other eBayers seem to do...

How about this in the body of your listing:

RARE BEARDED GODDESS!! ONE OF A KIND! NEVER SEEN ANOTHER LIKE IT! BUY IT QUICK! WILL SELL FOR MILLIONS! L@@K AT THE PHOTOS! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what all the other eBayers seem to do...

Well... I did consider filing off the edge lettering and pressing it in a vise with a Mercury Dime on one side and a Romanian Bani on the other...

...NOT!

Your post made me shoot Dr. Pepper out of my nose. sumo.gif

Thanks, MunkyMan!

For now, send the coin off to NCI, and pay them to improve it if they can.

Since you feel comfortable as an established ebay seller, that is probably the route you should take when you get it back from NCI. Definitely, allow PayPal. Keep the listing description short. Forget everything about how you came to own the coin, or even how often it comes to auction.

Stating the Bearded Goddess is R5, meaning about 50 thought to still exist, should be fine. BHNC says R5 means 47-63 still exist. I don't think it will do any good to say how much someone offered you for this coin, might simply make readers wonder if you are telling the truth. Anybody bidding on this coin should know a lot more about the Goddess than you; this is no coin for a beginner's Bust Half collection.

TomB sure has a way with words, and they are usually right on target.

I agree the initial listing was way too long and I'd attempt to use proper French... Peut-être je suis un perfectionniste...

About Pay-Pal though...I don't use it because the fees are too onerous for the meager profit margin I get on lower-tier coins. I could see using it if I was selling $1K coins hand over fist...I'd probably insist on it (and full insurance value to boot).

L

I didnt even read it. WAY WAY WAY too long. If it is more than 3 sentences my attention is lost. Just tell me what the coin is, accept paypal and if it is raw have a return policy.

Use the KISS principal----Keep it simple stupid. wink.gif

OK -- let this thread die, I'm not going to list it on Thursday.

I'm piggy backing it into NCS with John's (Coin) submission. I'll have it "Authenticated, Details Graded and Variety Attributed" -- in the long run it should at least get me the submission fees back and make it much easier to sell.

I wasn't aware that NCS would do this -- I thought they just removed gunk and stuff like that, I should have done a bit more research and formed a back-up plan in case the coin got body bagged by NGC. To the credit of the guys at the NGC/NCS table in Charlotte, they asked if I was interested in sending it to NCS, but I had so much wind knocked out of my sails at the initial rejection that my brain sorta shorted out and I didn't ask the right questions -- I remember thinking, "The coin isn't dirty and they can't fix the scratches, why waste the money?"

Thanks to everyone for their opinions on my first draft, I learned a lot about what you guys look for in the coin listings on eBay and suffice it to say, adjustments have been made to my Coin Template. As I said, I have sold a lot of stuff on eBay over the last few years -- it's not just coins that I look for at estate sales -- and every different category has to be handled a different way to ensure maximum effect and profit. Sports Memoribilia people want a history report, Civil War and WW2 collectors already know the history, they just want condition and attribution details, Hardware Buyers and Tool collectors want numbers and exact measurements, with Glassware it is all about the pictures and lighting, Antique Radio people are insane and it's hard to figure out what they want -- so on and so forth. My first draft was a combination of everything I had learned in the different categories, so it was way "fat", and I knew it -- that's why I asked for your critical input to refine it. I have to learn a little more every time I move into a new category, but that is what keeps it fresh.

I was a "PowerSmeller" at one time, but the aforementioned PayPal debacle jammed me up and I lost it when I quit selling for a few months. They have invited me back, but I'm not doing it out of spite for the system -- the status got me ZIP when I needed it during the dispute. Those of you that think PowerSellers get special attention and extra leeway on things are a bit off... at least at my level. I suppose the Platinum Guys might get free dinners and lap dances, but the rest of us grunts on the front lines still get the shaft in a dispute, even if we somehow scratch our way up to earn our Sargeant Stripes with basic PowerSeller status.

Thanks again to everyone for the input and critiques, and special thanks to John (Coin) for explaining to me what NCS could do and letting me piggy back the Goddess on his submission.