• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1965 "Churchill" Crown, KM#910.....can anyone help me with these?

23 posts in this topic

I have five of these. A specimen was made with a satin finish. How can you tell the difference since these appear to be slightly circulated? Thanks, Chris

1706535-IMG_1461.JPG1706535-IMG_1462.JPG

1706535-IMG_1463.JPG1706535-IMG_1464.JPG

1706535-IMG_1465.JPG1706535-IMG_1466.JPG

1706535-IMG_1467.JPG1706535-IMG_1468.JPG

1706535-IMG_1469.JPG1706535-IMG_1470.JPG

1706535-IMG_1470.JPG.bfa982ba542d42bce257722307ea49de.JPG

The satin finish is not like the burnished coins we see today. The satin finished used on these coins look like the die was hammered (literally) to make the fields anything but smooth. Those are more common than the smooth ones. From your pictures, 1, 2, and 6 look satin.

Scott hi.gif

hi.gif There i have a picture of a satin crown but it is to big to post hear..

i have had lots of these crowns and thay all look satiny a true one stands out a mile

But the true satin ones were only made for presentation to "VIP's and are Extremly rare (1000) minted.

the last one "the one i have a picture of" is a bit ropey and it sold for £950

If you would like to send me a Email at dooly@klf1.fsnet.co.uk I will send the pictures and maybe you know how to reduce them

All the best dooly

Dooly, you can send me the images at victor_easley@hotmail.com and I'll reduce them for you. thumbsup2.gif

Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened. Sir Winston Churchill

On there way EZ-E

There is a little know Varietiy of this coin that you have more chance in finding "Shhhhhh!" gossip.gif dont tell every one or there will be non left for us...

Type A Small space inside loop of R in CHURCHILL

Type B Larger (broader) space inside loop of R

gossip.gif

I am not telling you which one but i think you have a type A !!!!!!!!! headbang.gif

I do not collect UK coins but I have seen VIP proofs of other issues. Are there really that many of these for this issue? That must be a very popular coin for it to sell at that price with that mintage. I have seen a few VIP proofs from KGV and KGVI on both Northeastcoin.com and Goldberg (some might even be the same coins). Neither stated what the mintages were but I thought it was at most 25. The most recent ones were KGV Halfcrowns graded NGC PR-65. The ask price was $1850.

I believe you mean KM#910 not HK#910. I don't have a KM#910 yet, but here's my HK#910A:

US-Mint_1993_WWII-Victory-Medal_600x300.jpg

Yes, I meant KM and it has been corrected. Thanks!

Chris

Dooly, you can send me the images at victor_easley@hotmail.com and I'll reduce them for you. thumbsup2.gif

Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened. Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks, Victor!

Chris

On there way EZ-E

There is a little know Varietiy of this coin that you have more chance in finding "Shhhhhh!" gossip.gif dont tell every one or there will be non left for us...

gossip.gif

I am not telling you which one but i think you have a type A !!!!!!!!! headbang.gif

Dooly, thanks for the help. You really don't have to be so secretive about this variety. Greg doesn't care. Is the Type A hard to find? Are there any estimates on the population? What are they worth in comparison to the Type B? Is the one I have that you think is the Type A somewhere between #1 & #3?

Chris

On there way EZ-E

Dooly, I either didn't get them or I overlooked them in my junk mail. sorry.gif

So resend them and title it to me, Victor. Sorry if I've left you hanging. frown.gif

On there way EZ-E

gossip.gif

Dooly, thanks for the help. You really don't have to be so secretive about this variety. Greg doesn't care. Is the Type A hard to find? Are there any estimates on the population? What are they worth in comparison to the Type B? Is the one I have that you think is the Type A somewhere between #1 & #3?

Chris

Hello, Dooly! You really don't want to hear my rendition of one of Satchmo's best!

Chris

Sorry gentlemen got a bit sidetracked with stuff

I have sent the pictures again

and i have found the book with pictures of the R's in

1710400-1956crown.jpg

I asked at the local coin shop re how rare the veriation was and he looked at me like i was making it up so i will check the ones i have and see what i come up with

hi.gif

1710400-1956crown.jpg.760a5d1de7e64e165d2df41dc6b7e5dc.jpg

Thanks EZ-E for shrinking the pictures.. its still hard to see a diffrence..any one spot any thing hi.gif

You're welcome. thumbsup2.gif

It appears that the lettering in "Churchill" is fatter on your coin.

Hi :)

Is there anyone in this thread still here please? I have one of these coins and haven't a clue how to check if it's the VIP coin or not. Why are they called rainbow? Mine has a rainbow shimmer. It needs a good clean but too scared to touch it just in case.

Can someone educate me a little please? :)

Thank you