• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with this Buffalo grade?

14 posts in this topic

Good full horn, clear liberty separated, great strike on date-My guess is EF40. Were the tail to be more clear on the hip probably EF45. What is up with the reverse rim at 7 o'clock? Doesn't look like it was pushed up but maybe added somehow-during minting maybe? I'd say a $9-10 purchase would have been fair.

Been to a coin show have we or slumming on ebuy?

27_laughing.gifJim

I think the coin could be EF40 or EF45, but I must admit that the sheer size of the images made the coin difficult to grade since I had to continuously move the images around to see the coin. Therefore, I feel like I don't have a good read on the piece. It appears that there is a bit of a streaky planchet, which doesn't bother me at all, and the edge imperfection shown later in the thread looks more like a lamination problem than post-Mint damage.

I am not a buffalo expert but I believe the coin could make EF40. I do not think I would pay any more than VF money due to the two hits on the rim: at T on obv, E on rev, and what looks like cud is not doing it for me.

This is just a hole filler but just wanted some opinions on it. It was in a lot of buffs I bought and averaged out to about .50cents for it. So I'm not worried about the value, just looking to get a grade for it. Appreciate ya'll's help.

Pretty nice for a 50 cent coin! I'd call it a 35-40, but would have to see it in-hand to tell what's up with the rim and edge.

Hoot

Pretty nice for a 50 cent coin! I'd call it a 35-40, but would have to see it in-hand to tell what's up with the rim and edge.

Hoot

Thanks Hoot. The rim looks like post mint damage to me. I'll see if I can take a couple better angle shots of it.

It's an EF-40 minimum.

Pete

I agree. Its a solid XF 40. [ Wear pattern, that is ]

Calling it less is undeserving.

Re: the edge - at first I thought it might

have been a Cud. But the planchlet looks

like the nickel alloy didn't harden correctly.

Tough call.