• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sacagaweas

16 posts in this topic

hello all!

when was the last time that the sacs were made for circulation? i've thought they were only available in mint sets or proof sets the last few years, and this year they will be distributed for circulation plus from the mint in proof and mint sets. anyone?

halfpint makepoint.gif

If you look enough, you will find a few Sacs dated after 2001 in circulation; the less desirable ones spent from bag and roll sales. smile.gif

These came out in 2000

... And they were last made for circulation in 2001.

My bad. I thought he was asking when they came out, not last came out. foreheadslap.gif

These came out in 2000

... And they were last made for circulation in 2001.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif On the way home from the airport, I stopped at the post office to pick up stamps from the machine. For change, I am looking at one 1999 SBA dollar, one 2001 Sac Dollar, and two 2003 Sac Dollars. Yet you are telling me that the 2003 dollars were not circulated? Someone forgot to tell the US Postal Service! makepoint.gif

Scott hi.gif

Scott, more than likely the 2003 came from a bag or roll purchased from the Mint, and some collector dumped the lower grade coins into circulation. A perfect example of this is the 2001 Kennedy half dollar. It was never released into circulation, and the Mint didn't start selling bags and rolls of them until the last half of 2004. Beginning in early 2005, I started seeing a lot of them surfacing in bank rolls.

Chris

Scott, more than likely the 2003 came from a bag or roll purchased from the Mint, and some collector dumped the lower grade coins into circulation. A perfect example of this is the 2001 Kennedy half dollar. It was never released into circulation, and the Mint didn't start selling bags and rolls of them until the last half of 2004. Beginning in early 2005, I started seeing a lot of them surfacing in bank rolls.

Chris

One minor correction... 2001-D halves were put into circulation. Not in great numbers, but they were released.

Scott hi.gif

Chris

One minor correction... 2001-D halves were put into circulation. Not in great numbers, but they were released.

Scott hi.gif

I don't know why I keep forgetting about that! Old age, I guess. The number of circulated "D-mint" coins must have been very small because the Mint is still selling bags & rolls of the 2001's. Do you have any information on the number that were actually released?

Thanks,

Chris

Just happened to browse the Sacagawea Dollars 2000 to Date, Proofs registry category. Wow ... 60+ people with 100% complete and 3015 points. Looks like a popular category.

I am part of that 60 way tie smile.gif

Whats More impressive is the BUSINESS strikes smile.gif ...

Getting in high grade is tough and some years Impossible ... SO guys are Side stepping the integrity of the Set by putting in SMS coins in - I refuse and MINE are all business strikes

sig.jpg