• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC vs PCGS grade guarantee

5 posts in this topic

Do you think one guarantee is worth more than the other? Does one TPG have a better track record for honoring its grade guarantee when problems have come up?

The guarantees are mostly the same with the biggest downfall being that the company paying out the money for the guarantee is also the company making the decision of whether you deserve a pay out based on a subjective matter.

PCGS has a better guarantee for copper. Much better as it covers the coin for as long as it is in the slab, unlike only 10 years for NGC.

PCGS is known to favor collectors over dealers when paying out on the guarantee. This is a sore point for dealers.

Overall, I don't put too much weight in the guarantee of any of the grading companies. They sound good, but I wouldn't bet too much on any of them making me whole.

I have had experience with all four certification services, once with ICG, once with PCGS (the infamous "Norweb Hibernia" incident), twice with NGC and three times with ANACS. Based on actual experience, I would rate NGC as excellent, ANACS as fair, PCGS as poor, and ICG as poor. Indeed, this is the single most important reason why I rate NGC as the #1grading service.

While other servics may talk the talk, NGC has (again, in my own personal experience) been the only one to walk the walk. Also, while the reasons that collectors and dealers give for preferring one service over another most often have to do with perceive "brand value", I've based my loyalty on the service which has stood behind their guarantee the best, and hands-down, that has been NGC.

I've only had one experience. A PCGS 1827 AU-58 bust half developed PVC in the holder. I sent it back and after a long time (my biggest complaint was that it took 3 months) they agreed to pay me. They sent me a check and stabilized the coin and sent it back. They said it couldn't holder again. I thought it was fair. A year later they credited my credit card with the cost of grading (since a regrade was the same cost as submission).

I can't tell any damage on the bust half and I wonder if it would holder. It's a gorgeous coin with a lot of luster. Originally it was from Legend. One of these days I may try to see if NGC will holder it.