• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Howdy people!

26 posts in this topic

I have been hiding in the shadows for a while and just wanted to say Hi to the knowledgeable people here......HI!

I have been in and out of the hobby (but mostly in) for most of my years and I have to say that a lot of the posts here have opened my eyes.

I will dust off my meager digi and try to get some images of my raw coins for some opinions, but in the mean time I have a question, is the rim damage on this this coin to the point that you would not even consider it?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Howdy and welcome. The rim bruises on that coin are rather trivial, in my opinion, and would not chase me away from a piece such as that.

Hey Raybo55 hi.gif

I'm a newbie too and will give you big HELLO THERE !

Welcome and thanks for sharing the neat coin.

My opinion is that the coin is damaged and that the best it can do for holders is get a "genuine" notation. I would be extremely careful buying that coin.

Why does it not already have at least an ANA certificate with it.

It looks genuine, but I wold not myself try it.

See ya around hi.gif

Fergie.

TomB is the local King of the land and I graciously differ to his opinion.

I have always seen his expertise in action here and he's always got the most informed viewpoint.

Thanks, TomB,

respectfully,

Fergie.

Raybo55

Welcome to the land of enchantment...I'm going to let the copper pro's (Hoot, Bill Jones, 1798CentCollector, TomB, Mark Feld, MikeKing, etal) give chase to your question. hi.gif

Yes...I for one relish the sight of raw, un-adulterated coins...let'er rip!

Hey Raybo55 hi.gif

I'm a newbie too and will give you big HELLO THERE !

Welcome and thanks for sharing the neat coin.

My opinion is that the coin is damaged and that the best it can do for holders is get a "genuine" notation. I would be extremely careful buying that coin.

Why does it not already have at least an ANA certificate with it.

It looks genuine, but I wold not myself try it.

See ya around hi.gif

Fergie.

My thought exactly, I was wondering why the coin was not in a holder to begin with poke2.gif

It's not so hard to imagine a coin of this magnitude being sold raw if one realizes that collectors of early American copper (EAC) are essentially the last stronghold niche that has avoided the trend for increasing certification. Indeed, it is not unusual for an EAC member or devotee to crack out expensive or rare coinage from TPG slabs. Also, if this coin was a piece of the Robinson Brown collection then it had a position within the collection of a longtime EAC star whom I believe might have been the first Vice President of the society.

Welcome aboard Raybo55! hi.gif Have fun here.

Hey Tom can I ask what your cryptic Registry sets name means ???

sig.jpg

I'm guessing Tom is a closet Canadian collector and it stand for Please Mail Loonies, Regina Always Rules!

Hey Tom can I ask what your cryptic Registry sets name means ???

sig.jpg

I have one active set on the NGC Registry and it is in the complete US type set category even though it is a not-near-complete-and-never-will-be-near-complete set. Something about the expense of the Draped Bust/Small Eagle type half makes me realize it will never be complete. Anyway, I did research for many years into the molecular basis of leukemia, specifically, acute promyelocytic leukemia. This type of leukemia is caused when two chromosomes, numbers 15 and 17, break and then recombine in an inappropriate manner within a cell. They typically break at a predefined position on each chromosome. On chromosome 15 they break at the gene known as PML while on chromosome 17 they break at the gene known as RAR alpha. When they recombine they fuse these two genes together to form a gene that causes leukemia, PML-RAR alpha. The abbreviation for the chromosomal break and recombination at this point is t(15;17) PML-RAR alpha. So, I named my set that and realized that only a physician or scientist intimately familiar with leukemias would ever know what it meant.

Okay, I'm a dork!

shy.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Where did you find that ZACH

I feel like saying daaaaahhhhh if its in this thread smile.gif

Oh good it isnt ... then I will just say 893scratchchin-thumb.gif well

DAaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh - Its longer right smile.gif

forgive my mood this afternoon ...

makepoint.gif

welcome to the boards

that coin is a pass for me with all those rim bruises

it is a shame as everything else about the coin is nice!!

but still a pass for me......................

i only like superb gem monster circ early copper coins maybe this is why i do not collect early copper