• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Else Having This Problem With NGC

12 posts in this topic

A number of coins I have received back lately have not been properly placed in the middle of the white insert, they are cockeyed with one side of the coin close to the front of the slab and the other side closer to the back of the slab. On some you can clearly see the groove in the middle of the insert where the coin is supposed to be placed but was not properly centered in the middle of the white insert by who evers job it was to do so. Definitely hurts the overall look of the coin especially on ones which are way off. I also submitted two coins for Designation review because they were both rotated die errors with medal alignment (180° rotation) and both were given the proper designation but on the Proof Liberty nickel they ended up putting the old label (without the error info) into the new slab so now I have an old style label in the new holder with the new hologram but of course I am back where I started with an error coin without the designation on the label even though I paid to have it. The new label was entered into their computer data base as it shows up with the proper error info (#110892-002) its just to bad they did print up a label and put it into the new slab instead of just using the old label. frown.gif

1903-5c.jpg

A minor problem I am sure you will be able to get fixed. I'd be willing to bet someone from NGC will contact you after seeing this post.

I've had several coins tilted (not rotated) in the plastic inside the slab. Same at ANACS and PCGS. Some times you can smack the slab against a table and they will move a little bit back into place.

With larger coins, I don't usually have the problem, but with half dimes, I've seen it several times. And like Greg, I get it from both services as well. wink.gif

Who cares about the label? At least NGC put the coin in the holder crooked like PCGS does from time to time. Quite annoying and it makes it even more difficult to take a picture! mad.gif

jom

I've had several coins tilted (not rotated) in the plastic inside the slab. Same at ANACS and PCGS. Some times you can smack the slab against a table and they will move a little bit back into place.

You used to be able to do that but I tried that with a number of pieces including a Bust Half and it does not work anymore, I have never seen it on any other slabs but I usually only submit to NGC (I used anacs in the past but not since NGC started to label errors). It is the worst with the smaller thin coins where you cannot always get a good look at both sides when it is crooked, I am sure they would be willing to fix it but it is a pain having to box the coins back up and pay to send them registered insured back to have them reholdered. I hope they talk to the people who do this so it does not become a regular thing. It is definitely better then getting a coin back finger printed but it still is a little annoying considering how easy it is to properly seat the coin since all the inserts do have a groove in the middle where the coin will lock itself in place. Also I forgot to mention one piece I received back it appears that it may have spent to much time in the sealer machine as the raised lines on the obverse used for stacking are melted flat (if I remember it is the 1903 shown above) so it cannot stack with other pieces. Actually looks like it sat flat on a hot stove and the raised lines just melted down, out of the 80+ coins I have submitted to NGC in the past two years this is the first time I have seen anything like this.

A number of coins I have received back lately have not been properly placed in the middle of the white insert, they are cockeyed with one side of the coin close to the front of the slab and the other side closer to the back of the slab.

I have had several Morgans come back like this, and you are right about them not moving back into place.

I have a Half-Dime in a PCGS holder that was tilted. I banged it against the table, now it is completely out of the slot. Now its like it was in one of the old "rattlers" holders.

which way did you bang it when that happened? (so I know to bang the other way) grin.gif

Whatever the method, you just might haft to bang 'er til the cows come croning home before you get any satisfying results. insane.gif

Leo

It's nothing new-it has been going on for years. Some of my more interesting toned Morgans are the older NGC holders without the divider between the insert & coin which lets fumes from the paper & ink tone the coin. Combine that with the coin being tilted it makes for some interesting patterns because the part of the coin tilted nearest to the slab shell tones the least while the part tilted farthest away tones the most.