• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any connection between valuation and grade received?

4 posts in this topic

I just sent in my first NGC batch under the ANA program. Some of the coins I had are "tweeners" that jump hugely between grades but I valued them on the NGC form at the low end of what they COULD grade at.

Anyone have experience with instance like this?

The lower end of the price allows them to go in as "economy" submissions but if they WOULD grade higher, will they? Or will they look at the valuation and use that for determination of grade? (they ARE human, ya know)

My cost is low on the coins and I would still come out OK if they were lost at the insured price.

Any ideas?

If the leap in price is significant, and the coin merits the higher grade, NGC will either let it slide, or contact you and ask you to pay the higher fee, depending on whether it was a one time thing or just an honest mistake.

They do not look at valuation to help determine grade. If they did then I would value all my huge price jump tweeners at the higher grade and make a fortune. Actually, I would value ALL my coins at really high grades and pay the extra $13 submission fee. laugh.gif

They will grade the coin without knowing what value you assigned it. They may know what service tier you used - at PCGS they do, but I can't recall hearing NGC comment on this.

I've had some of my best "hits" made using cheap service tiers.