• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New guy, wondering if I should have some of my stuff graded?

14 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I started collecting when I was a kid in the late 80's, purchased a few things here and there during college, and purchased fewer things since I got out of college. One of my smartest purchases was shortly before the state quarters came out. I was reading a coin mag, (maybe Coinage?) and they predicted that key date Washington quarters would go up in value significantly after the state quarters came out. Made sense to me, so I purchased a 32-S in a cardboard/mylar flip. The dealer had graded it EF/VF as I recall. I think I paid about $38 for it? I've checked on Ebay a few times lately and it seems they are going for over $100 now. So, should I get this coin graded and slabbed?

Another: One of my favorite coins is a Canadian silver dollar with a polar bear on the back and ice rising up behind him. It's a proof coin that I got on Ebay for about $17. I like the coin a lot and don't want to see it get hazy or degrade in anyway. Would getting it graded and slabbed preserve it's pristine condition?

Another: I received a type set of Spanish coins (I was a fervent foreign collector) as a gift. One of the large, circulated coins appears to be a major double die. Do any of the grading companies certify errors on foreigns?

I guess one of my main questions about grading/slabbing is if it's an effective way of preserving the condition of the coin indefinitely? I feel like a bumbling fool at times with the way I mess some things up, so would slabbing some of my favorites protect them from me and environmental degradation?

Thanks guys,

Jim

Slabbing is entirely up to you of course. If the coins value and the slabbing fees make it feasible then go for it. If not, there are all types of storage that will keep your coins safe. Airtites are great and I even think albums and 2x2's work great also. If these type of holders are kept in a non-humid, non-chemically corrosive environment, these coins should stay in the shape you have them now and maybe even the possibility of getting a little NT over the years. IMO

By the way, welcome to the forum. hi.gif

Most people would say that any coin who's value is under $100 should not be slabbed, but it all depends upon one's preference.

Heck, I spent $25 in grading fees and postage to have a 2003 Canadian cent graded by PCGS. It's value? Less than a cent. I did this since it was a nice coin I got in change when I took my daughter to Vancouver, BC. It held sentimental memories for me so it was worth it. It came back MS65 red. It is a prooflike coin but was not designated such. And, there is a finger print now forming. Oh well, I still like the coin for the reasons stated.

Jim, first of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

Personally, if something is worth under $300, I definitely don't want it slabbed. It just isn't worth it from the selling point of view for me. It's gonna cost you basically some $25-$30 to slab it, and if there's one thing I hate, it's throwing away 10% of my money.

Howdy and welcome, Jim. My opinion would be to not slab the pieces you wrote about and I will tell you why.

The 1932-S Washington quarter has a very small spread between VF and EF money and the coin should be rather easy to grade for someone familiar with the series. Therefore, only an added mintmark, altered or cleaned coin should be of concern. This coin in VF is about $180 and in EF about $200. Even though I wrote that I would not slab any of the coins, this one might be one that could get slabbed simply for authentication of the mintmark. As long as the Canadian coin is kept in a reasonable storage environment that is not subject to high swings in temperature or humitdity and does not have a high sulfur concentration then the coin should stay fairly pristine without being slabbed. The Spanish coin reads as though it is a variety and not an error. I believe both PCGS and NGC will certify these as varieties if the variety is in the Krause book and is easily visualized. If the coin is not worth much then, again in my opinion, it should not get slabbed.

893naughty-thumb.gifWARNING 893naughty-thumb.gif Once you start slabbing it's very hard to stop.. popcorn.gif

if you are worried about Kids/animals/wife geting there hands on your coins, slab them!! ps Have you ever dropped a good coin, scary Isnt'it drop a slab and it just bounces !!! bumpit.gif

Or if you live in a Very wet place like the UK slab away!! tonofbricks.gif

Also you will also have a good case (god forbid) if you have to make a claim 893whatthe.gif on you Insurance !!

Welcome to a great community. There is certainly a great abundance of knowledgeable available here ,as i am also a newbie here, and always a learning experience. hi.gif

Hello all,.....

Another: I received a type set of Spanish coins (I was a fervent foreign collector) as a gift. One of the large, circulated coins appears to be a major double die. Do any of the grading companies certify errors on foreigns?

Hi there JimT,

Welcome from one newbie to another to NGC Forums !

I too collect double die's and I see you call the " Large circulated coin" a possible "major" double die.

Maybe ANACS certifies World coins with major Double Die's.

I am not sure....anybody else know ?

What is the coin?

Also, can you post a picture of it ?

I would like to see the doubling type.

Do you know how to tell genuine double dies from coins that just appear to be one ?

Looking forward to your answers, Fergie. hi.gif

Hi Fergie,

I'm glad you asked. It took me a while to find the Spanish coin I was referring to. It seems that time has exaggerated my memory of it. I think that it has symptoms of die wear? I was reading some earlier and I think I saw someone talk about that. If you look at the left side of the N in Juan, that's where it's most obvious in the picture. I have another coin that's similar.

Also pictured are my quarter and the already hazy Canadian.

coins.jpg

If that is a soft, pliable 2x2 plastic flip then it likely contains PVC and might severly damage the Washington. You should think about putting that Washington in a cardboard and mylar 2x2.

Hi ya JimT,

Thanks for the pics, try to keep them all right side up next time !

OK, what I see and think is,

The Washington looks very nice, original old circulated coin look, with no major problems.

Many people have little practice grading circulated Washingtons, not many people collect them in grades below mint state. or at least pay premiums for them.

Of course the 32s needs grading as it has quite a premium. Yours may be what we call a liner coin. Coins on the line may go either way. I cant see well from this pic, but it may grade VF-30, VF-35, or cross the line at XF-40.

You should always carry a 10X to 16X glass and use it to examine the mintmarks on every coin where the difference in price between a Philly and the mintmarked coin is very high. What you do is check all around the MM very carefully to see that it is actually part of the coin and not just laying on top of it. You look for continuity between the coins struck surfaces and the MM's sides. When the coin is struck the metal flows and creates die lines and luster. You should be able see those lines "walk" from the flat field right up the sides of the MM. On many coins, the luster, and color will also match perfectly.

If the MM has a separated look, like you see between a stack of plates, it is added to the coin. If the MM has a totally 100% different color and luster look, but no vsible seam, it too is added, albeit skillfully.

OK, go check it. ( not that anyone adds them to circ Washingtons)

Now, as to slabbing, it's not needed here. Collectors are fully able to evaluate this coin and it's purpose in life is to reside in a coin album collection, not in a slab.

On the Spanish coin what I see is possibly a clashed die, not a double die.

These are easy to figure. Just look at the reverse and imagine the exact same reverse point as viewed from the front/obverse. So you want to check the area by J, locate the exact same spot on the back and try to match the image to what you are seeing on the front. After you get the hang of it, you will be able to see it all over a heavily clashed die pair, obverse and reverse. And your looks heavily clashed,so ......

Go check it !

Whats on the back, any clash marks there too ?

Clashed die coins are wanted by collectors, yours though will not carry much of a premium for it.

As a warning buffer zone, I am new to providing opinions from pics here, so I

dunno how good I is or I ain't yet !

Hey you said you have two, and thats a sure sign of something going on on a coin.

See ya, Fergie.

If that is a soft, pliable 2x2 plastic flip then it likely contains PVC and might severly damage the Washington. You should think about putting that Washington in a cardboard and mylar 2x2.

I agree with TomB. However, it appears from the image that the coin is in an inert plastic flip - the kind you want to use.