• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will it grade ? 1808 1 cent

17 posts in this topic

That's a nice one! Good strong strike, but not sure if it would be one to slab, it appears to have some rim damage and looks like there may be some corrosion issues judging by the obverse color and pitting.

IMO this is the kind of coin that maybe should stay out of a slab. It's such a nice, authentic-looking piece that the plastic might take away from the overall appeal of it.

Numismedia's price on that coin in G is $44.85. In VG it's $103.50 The Redbook says VG-8 Very Good- Liberty all readable. Liberty's ear visible. Details worn but plain. To me this coins details look like VG.

You could always send it off to NCS and have them put it in a slab with Details Grading and authenticate it. It doesn't look like too many 1808 brown cents have been slabbed by NGC. They only show 39

Whether you keep it raw or have it encapsulated it's a nice coin!

Joe

hi.gif Thanks all for the information I do like the coin it is nicer in the hand than my poor scan & a lot smoother than it looks.

I really wanted it NGC slabbed so i could finaly get some points on my Registry.!!!

"O well" gess i will have to trade it up on eBay..

I do have a couple comeing back over the pond shortley so hopefully i will get some canny grades insane.gif

Dooly, if you want one slabbed then I highly suggest that you buy an example already graded because probably over 90% of all raw early copper will come back body bagged for some reason or the other.

IMO this is the kind of coin that maybe should stay out of a slab. It's such a nice, authentic-looking piece that the plastic might take away from the overall appeal of it.

thumbsup2.gif

And it has too many problems for a slab, as noted.

Hoot

Thanks for the info EZ-E i will keep a look out for a slabbed one

This is the first "old one" i have seen for over a month in the uk.

We have a coin fair in newcastle on Sunday so lets see if there is any US about !!

thumbsup2.gif

Dooly, if you want one slabbed then I highly suggest that you buy an example already graded because probably over 90% of all raw early copper will come back body bagged for some reason or the other.

I agree...if you want slabbed coins...buy them slabbed in the first place. And EZ_E is correct...most copper out there has been messed with at some point in time. This, and lucking into a TPG grader that understands early copper is difficult at best. I'd keep this one raw or use it as a down payment on a slabbed example. L

This, and lucking into a TPG grader that understands early copper is difficult at best.

Yes, that is the root of the matter. There are many outstanding examples of conserved copper that excels in eye-appeal and desirability but, because of the narrow criteria that deems a coin gradable or not, most are bb'd.