• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Easy to make anti-glare screen for taking Slab pics.

13 posts in this topic

It just occurred to me while reading another post where the person had trouble with the glare reflecting into the camera from an NGC slab.

Solution:

Just get a black piece of paper and cut out the appropriate size hole for the coin to show through. I have the Black paper kids in school use for crafts and art stuff.

I will try it. Anyone else do this yet ?

Maybe I will make a simple set of like dime thru dollar size papers with a hole in them. And..... voila, I have a bag full of all different colors of the paper !

Now I can make "mats" for the slabs in any color I want !

Problem is that sometimes the glare comes from the plastic on top of the coin and not from the sides. This tip maybe helpful when trying to capture the color, but the straight on shot will still be a challenge.

Hey fergie, I started a hairbrain photo idea thread. Maybe we can start all these ideas, experiment, and then see what works? Never know. Looks like you already tried this idea. Results of ideas are always great to let everyone know if they work or not. thumbsup2.gif

I've actually tried this method using black velvet obtained from a quilt store and then made several squares with each square having a slightly different diameter hole in order to allow coins of various size to sit in the middle of the hole. In my case, I did this to neutralize the NGC white core background when taking images of darker coins. I believe it worked to a degree, but glare from the plastic immeditely on top of the coin was not eliminated.

defrocking is about the only real solution.

although, I'm wondering, if there's a way to get the light to go UNDER the slabs surface...

Hey fergie, I started a hairbrain photo idea thread. Maybe we can start all these ideas, experiment, and then see what works? Never know. Looks like you already tried this idea. Results of ideas are always great to let everyone know if they work or not. thumbsup2.gif

Hey bsshog40, good idea !

Count me in for almost any hairbrained schemes ! screwy.gifdevil.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Now can you start a thread for Hairbrained collecting strategies ?

I'm there too ! gossip.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifacclaim.gif

Now can you start a thread for Hairbrained collecting strategies ?

I wish I knew some! I might be hairbrained on some of my collecting but it isn't a strategy I like to use 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Yes I've tried this many times with different colors and I can't get it to work. Unfortunately either the plastic mixture or manufacturing process of NGC slabs make it extremely difficult to capture an accurate picture, not only elminating the glare but getting the color correct. There is an option in Adobe Elements to reduce the glare which is a much better solution then messing with construction paper, at least for me.

Have you tried using a polarized filter? In theory, it should take care of the glare.

Would a polarizer take away any color of luster?? Make it harder to get the true coins appearance out?? confused-smiley-013.gif

Have you tried using a polarized filter? In theory, it should take care of the glare.

Would a polarizer take away any color of luster?? Make it harder to get the true coins appearance out?? confused-smiley-013.gif

We have discussed this before and it does little to help the glare. As to the color it is not effected much.