• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just love this coin: try#2

11 posts in this topic

ok, I reduced the size of the pic, didn't rely on internet link and am just attaching it to this post.

If anyone would like to guess the grade...?

227756-1901obv4re.jpg.e3ac9ee7768b10ba6c9aa1b97db7de1a.jpg

A very beautiful coin! I would guess MS-62 or MS-63, though if I could get a better sense of the luster from the photo I might change my mind.

I have the same problem. I can not appraise the luster from this picture. Try tilting the coin a couple degrees and scanning it. It looks like a nice coin, just can't see it. I use Photoshop to process and compress images before adding to posts (see example, MS64 Eagle). The image that I posted shows all the luster breaks and marks on the coin.

227999-MS64Eagle.jpg.6b816856b0b871d23bb3c33661a3592c.jpg

I would guess that it most likely will grade MS64. It is a tough call for me because grading of gold has been relaxed a little recently, which makes my gold grading standards out-of-date. This means that many other, high-end-for-grade, gold coins are crossing upward. I am having great difficulty finding nice gold coins for grade.

In any event, nice coin! Also, your picture reveals the subleties of the pink and gold toning and luster which really helps grade gold from a picture.

It's a decent MS-64. I can't call it a WOW! 893applaud-thumb.gif because there are too many copper spots on the reverse. You can find MS-64 $10 Libs without those marks ...

Or at least you could before the standards were lowered and coins like that end up in MS-65 holders. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

C'mon guys...these pics have got to blow up this coin 500%. Yes, there are some small mineral deposits, but not enough to preclude higher grades. The markings are trivial, you need a 7X loupe to see them, and the fields are almost pristene. The original photo's didn't show up the patina and the lustre adequately, and while these photos which follow, also, do not, they are an improvement. For these, I used two flourescent OTT lights and one incandescent overhead.

1901_Eagle_obv3xjre.jpg

1901_Eagle_rev3arej.jpg

This is a tough crowd, Mike. If you are going to throw yourself at their mercy, they will tell you exactly what they think. They have been tough on my coins and probably most of the members here that have posted coins.