• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade - Franklin Half Dollar

12 posts in this topic

This coin was part of submission I have patiently waited for since 02/08/2007. I have included both my photo prior submission and NGCs. Guess away as I they have not updated my submission status. I may have actually posted this coin before but I do not care, it was before all the new people got here.

2513641_006o.jpgFranklin1949Obverse.jpg

2513641_006r.jpgFranklin1949Reverse.jpg

Hopefully, I get the grade tomorrow. I put together a 1949 year set for a multi-holder that they tell me will take another week. The wait kills me.

Without the advantage of seeing it in hand and judging by your superb image, I would say MS 66. I love the color however I’m not one to let it totally influence technical grade.

I wouldn’t give it the FB because it appears to have a few breaks in the lines. Nice one at any grade. thumbsup2.gif

NGC 65, PCGS 65FBL. Can't quite tell from your image if the streaks on the top of the head (under R) are toning or dings. If dings drop the grade a point. '49-P's commonly come well struck, and I don't see the 3 curls on the obverse or "stow" on the reverse so that mitigates against a higher grade. I'm glad you stopped the toning where you did, as per the previous post on this coin. It's a nice looking Frankie, with pleasant toning for the date/mintmark.

Your picture is by far more pleasing. The other one makes the tone look like it was applied with crinkled up sran wrap!

I would like to see you get a MS-66 out of this submission, but I'd be willing to bet it only comes out as a MS-65 but who know's what the grader may see in this very nice example.

Best of luck.

Received the Grade of MS65 FBL. I am pleased.

I had also submitted a 1948D MS64 FBL and a 1949S MS64. All in all I am happy. You guys were good, I had thought it would come back FBL but I just could not capture the true image with my photo setup and hand shakes.