• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grade opinions

12 posts in this topic

From your pictures I don’t see any reason why this 1938-D Buffalo couldn’t be. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It does have the luster and tone I’ve seen on other MS66 38-D nickels, your coin has a pleasing look that I like.

The 38-D is a popular year and mint for a type example of the Buffalo nickel both for being the last year and it’s the cheapest of the MS66 Buffalos with over 16,000 graded MS66 by NGC alone. 893whatthe.gif

Before I added my 1937 proof Buffalo to my type set, I had a 1938-D NGC MS66 looked a lot like yours. thumbsup2.gif

Is that a spot on the slab over the cheek on the obverse? Easily MS65. Is the luster there for a 66?

Yeah, I think it’s on the slab, but with being a photo and not in my hand, I'm going give the coin any doubt. thumbsup2.gif

Here’s my old 1938-D, I forgot it was in a PCGS holder, not like that makes it any better than a NGC. insane.gif

1938-D-5-CENT.jpg