• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should TPGs offer ASE neutralization as a service?

15 posts in this topic

Given the prevalence of ASE milkspotting and that TPG policies for ASE submission may preclude neutralizing the coins yourself, should TPGs offer that service before encapulation?

It's my understanding that there is no way to prevent these spots.

Given the massive numbers of these coins graded and their low value, it's probably best for the services if they just pay out on the grade guarantee when one turns.

I thought of this a couple of years ago and actually sent an email to Greg's dad, David Hall, concerning this. He emailed me back with a gracious thank you.

----------------------------------------

Sent : Monday, June 20, 2005 12:05 PM

To : "Victor Easley" <victor_easley@hotmail.com>

Subject : RE: A positive business suggestion

Thanks Victor...David

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2005 11:49 AM

To: David Hall

Subject: A positive business suggestion

Dave, here is an idea that might work:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=848097&an

=0&page=0#848097

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=844525&an

=0&page=0#844525

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=405103

Victor D. Easley

I thought of this a couple of years ago and actually sent an email to Greg's dad, David Hall, concerning this. He emailed me back with a gracious thank you.
blush.gif

they do it already combined wih payoffs and also not currently grading 893scratchchin-thumb.gif i think 893scratchchin-thumb.gif some coins in the pf/ms70 grade

and if the sh*t hits the fan then the slabbing services go bankrupt and/or change to a 100 point grading system and/or some sort of new standard and start all over again

Why would you pay $18 to slab a $30 - $50 coin? stupid

Probably to make people, like you, ask questions.

I am a new guy around here. That being said, I have seen probably 15-20 threads where you make fun of, or try and belittle someone for having modern coins graded...why? It is THEIR choice what they would like to do with their money, and I believe calling them stupid/foolish is very unprofessional.

Not everyone has the money, or desire to collect, and slab the type of coins that are "acceptable" to you. Not everyone is in this hobby to make money, or anticipate a future profit either. Believe it or not, there are people who collect what interests them, what they can afford, and have them slabbed because they WANT to, and no other reason.

Its attitudes like this that turn people away from the hobby. If some guy wants to pick 1997 Jefferson's out of his pocket change, and have them slabbed, who are you, or I, to tell him he his stupid? Thats the great thing about coin collecting, in theory, you can collect whatever you want, and slab it if you would like as well.

Not to mention, I wonder if the same type of comments were being made to people putting away CC Morgans while they were in circulation, etc. etc. etc. Even if someone chooses to have their coins slabbed, and they are not worth a penny more when the person dies, it WAS worth it. They enjoyed their coins, did what THEY wanted to do, and hopefully enjoyed theirself along the way. Thats all that matters in this hobby.

I would rather congratulate someone for having fun, and collecting coins, regardless of what they are, than belittle them, and try and make them feel inferior.

I agree. It makes no sense to me either.
It's really quite simple, if you intend to sell, it makes sense when there are people are willing to pay more than the raw coin plus slabbing fees for the already slabbed coin. Do you think this dynamic doesn't exist?

Maybe simply because they want that coin in a particular slab. Sometimes it has nothing to do with money or value. I realize it may be very hard for some people to get their minds around but some people don't care about the bottom line or "maximizing the return on their investment". So people, believe it or not, actually collect coins for enjoyment alone.

And for those of you who want to say "Well if he wants one in a slab, why doesn't he buy one already slabbed. Well it doesn't make much sense to go out and spend $30 to $50 dollars on a slabbed coin when you can have the raw one you already own slabbed for $18 either.

If you don't have one, and you want a slabbed one, then it might make more sense to buy it already slabbed. Or if you have a good eye it might still make more sense to buy it cheap raw and pay to have it slabbed. Even if the final value is under $50.

Calling someone stupid for doing so is uncalled for. I hate slabbing and even I wouldn't say that.

Calling someone stupid for doing so is uncalled for.

Yeah, whoever made that stupid comment is sooooo stoopid! 27_laughing.gif

makepoint.gif

I would rather congratulate someone for having fun, and collecting coins, regardless of what they are, than belittle them, and try and make them feel inferior.

Bravo, Black00SS.

thumbsup2.gif

Beijim

I realize it may be very hard for some people to get their minds around but some people don't care about the bottom line or "maximizing the return on their investment". So people, believe it or not, actually collect coins for enjoyment alone.

And bravo, Conder101.

If you want to belittle people, go across the street. You'll be in good company.

Oops.

Beijim

I would think that by offering an ASE neutralization service that the TPGs would then open themselves up to more liability exposure in the event that someone is unhappy with the appearance of the coin down the road. Please keep in mind that I am not a lawyer, but might a TPG-sponsored service such as this also encourage a class action suit, or facilitate the certification of such a suit, at some point in the future if the coins subsequently turned? If so, there would appear to be little incentive to advertise such a service.