• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A look through BigMoose's coin box

13 posts in this topic

As mentioned by TomB in his ANA report, BigMoose (TomT) gave us all a treat by bringing 10 of his finest 1794 Large cent varieties to Baltimore. All raw and in airtites, these coins have the type of smooth, chocolatey sheen that makes a copper lover swoon. Here's a look through the box, including two 1930's Large cents.

Thanks Moose!

Fabulous photos, Paul! smile.gif I will have to tell everyone, however, that the coins were even nicer in hand than the images suggest! shocked.gif

Tom - you're absolutely right. All of Moose's 1794s have a smoothness about them in person that the images just don't capture. Brown copper is the toughest to photograph, and the light required for the camera burns away some of the original lustre of all these coins. His RB 1930's cents were a lot easier to replicate since they required less light.

That is the absolute "coolest" collection that I have ever seen in my limited experience, but, then again, I'm partial to half-cents.

That collection is unbelievable! I simply LOVE the old copper that's taken on that chocolate sheen. In person, they have a look that is hard to describe, but it reminds me of an old desert varnish (for those of you familiar with the desert west). Thanks for the link!

Hoot

When we had the shop, a guy came in with (literally) a cigar box.

Said he had some old coins.

Went thru em and brown envelope after brown envelope of [!@#%^&^] from the Philippines, France, Germany, English pennies, etc etc etc.

.........EACH ONE IN A SEPARATE BROWN ENVELOPE.......

And each.....friggin.....coin.........labeled.....with .......the.....country.

BUT

At the BOTTOM (of course) 3 absolutely STUFFED lil brown envelopes....each marked "OLD US"

A dang near complete date set of half cents.

Low to mid grade, but still a nice bunch.

makepoint.gif

I simply LOVE the old copper that's taken on that chocolate sheen

Mmmmmm...chocolate.... argargargargh

Anyway, nice pics Paul. How the hec do you get pic of such dark coins?

jom

I hate when my mouth drops on top of the keyboard like that!

Amazing grouping of coins. Simply amazing. I'm happy when I find early large cents and the date is legible!

THANK YOU for the look!