• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help With Trade Dollar

11 posts in this topic

I need the help of those who have more experience with Trade Dollars than I do. I was provided pictures of a raw Trade Dollar but not sure what I am looking for to know if it is a fake. Can someone please help?

1695096-1872TradeDollar.jpg

THANKS! thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

1695096-1872TradeDollar.jpg.f5d728991d4ef704b8fb79c481b04050.jpg

I'm no expert but the number 2 in the date is NOT supposed to be there, it has been altered...ahhh, Trade dollars were originally minted in 1873-1885

these were not minted until 1873. Also, it looks like some metal work tried to get done around the 2. Probaly noticed there flaw, tried to fix and found out they couldn't. So now hoping to sell to an unknowledgeable buyer!

these were not minted until 1873. Also, it looks like some metal work tried to get done around the 2. Probaly noticed there flaw, tried to fix and found out they couldn't. So now hoping to sell to an unknowledgeable buyer!

This is why I am asking. I appreciate the opinion. I will tell the seller that I won't buy the coin and the information everyone passed along. THANKS!

Scott hi.gif

a genuine original coin

in fact a rare issue prototype pattern coin

you are one lucky guy thumbsup2.gif

Looks like it was struck in gold, no less. thumbsup2.gif

No, the coin was silver. It's just the ambient light that gives it the goldish hue.

I spoke to the seller about this. He thinks it is real after studying some the tell-tale signs of fakes. But it looks like someone tried to alter the date for unknown reasons--he speculated that since that there were not 1872 Trade Dollars that a previous owner could try to sell it as a rare pattern piece. confused-smiley-013.gif

Scott hi.gif