• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What should I do with this ebay buyer??

67 posts in this topic

Yea the item I sold was for $2.00. The padded envelope was .66, had some bubble wrap, ebay fee .52, and Paypal fee .42. I'm mailing today so no postage fee as of yet. I'm sure it will eat more of the .40 left from s&h charges of which I charged $2.00 S&H. I'm thinking about making a living at this

And that’s why in my opinion it is utterly ridicules to accept C.C. payments through PayPal for low cost items. Personally, I stopped using PayPal long ago due to the overall hassle of the costs, scams, etc. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

And that’s why in my opinion it is utterly ridicules to accept C.C. payments through PayPal for low cost items. Personally, I stopped using PayPal long ago due to the overall hassle of the costs, scams, etc. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

Then how do you accept payment?

Technically, that's a violation of Ebay policies. Seems like I read somewhere that S&H is only supposed to be the actual shipping charge. Nothing for the box, nothing for your time, nothing for the trip to the Post Office.

Knowing what to charge is a matter of knowing your business.

I use regular, #10 envelopes with Saf-T-Mailers. I buy both in bulk... cost 31-cents.

Size 0 bubble padded mailers (they're lighter) for shipping slabs: 25-cents. Add the cost of half a Saf-T-Mailer (I only use half of one for protecting the slab): 40-cents. Oh, these prices include the shipping costs I was charged for these supplies--I just figure them on an individual unit basis.

USPS postage is 39-cents for the first ounce plus 24-cents each additional ounce. I buy 39 cent stamps and sheets of 24-cent stamps, most of the time via the USPS online store (no extra charges and no waiting on line). Each package requires a minimum of 63-cents, even for slabbed coins. So that's 94-cents for raw, $1.03 for slabs. If a buyer wants insurance, they pay the USPS costs added at the end.

Ebay posting fees are 20-cents (under $1), 40-cents (under $10), 60-cents (average over $10). I use the 40-cents as an average plus 35-cents for gallery listing. That's 75-cents for listing. So before I sell the coin, my costs for everything other than the coin is $1.65 or $1.78. But I don't use a gallery listing on ever coin, but I keep it in the mix to figure out my costs.

I've calculated my average PayPal fee at 76-cents and my eBay Final Value Fee at $1.05. Total fee cost is $1.81. That's a total of $3.46 for raw and $3.63 for slabs. While most people use PayPal, I do receive a few money orders--thus no PayPal charges. This was the basis I used figure my pricing.

In reality, my average is actually $2.47 for raw coins and $2.82 for slabs with postage, fees, and everything taken into consideration. I charge $2.50 s+h plus 50-cents for each additional coin in the same shipment for raw coins. Slabs are $3.50 for the first and $1 additional for a single shipment. On top of that, raw coins are listed either at 99-cents if they came out a bulk purchase or 50-cents over what I paid. Slabs start at 9.99 for cheap commons or $1 over my purchase price. Even if the items sells for posted price, I make money.

I tend to start too low on the bulk purchase coins and have lost a few cents here and there. I also have sold some items at less than what I paid (e.g., reprocessed steel cents I bought for $1 out of a junk bin sold for 75-cents with $2.50 s+h). I look at it as a loss leader since I have a few people who likes to do business with me. But in the end, I do not loose money!

I do $200-500 in business each month. Half of my profit (about $75-125) is used to buy other coins to sell, the rest of the proceeds are use to feed my collecting habit. So I make sure that I am making the most of my profit... I have a few key coins to buy!!

Sometimes, I wonder why others don't do this type of analysis in order to maximize their profits. There's nothing wrong with it... it's business!!

Scott hi.gif

Well, I don’t really sell much, if anything on eBay. If I did however, I would just state my payment options as checks or money orders.

I know that as a buyer, my not being able to pay by PayPal would not keep me from bidding on a coin I really wanted, especially not an inexpensive one. It’s just not a big deal to me to buy a postal money order and wait a couple of more days for the coin to arrive.

As a seller, the way I see it is if this payment policy kept someone from bidding on a coin I’m offering, so be it. It’s their loss. If the coin doesn’t sell at all and I really wanted to move it, I’ll sell it at the next coin show I attend. Of course I’m not trying to make my living or supplement my income by selling on eBay. Coins are a hobby for me so I can have the luxury of living by my terms, but this brings us back to the point of this thread.

Bobby sold a $2 coin. With shipping the total came to $4! He’s probably going to lose money on the deal. Why this buyer couldn’t be more understanding is beyond me. If I were this buyer I would have just sent four singles in an envelope and been done with it. Instead, look at what Bobby had to put up with due to an honest mistake on his part. When all is said and done was it worth it. I know it wouldn’t be to me.

John

I guarantee ya it wasn't worth it to me! I have learned my lesson here very well. I really have no plans (key word) to sell anything else, but if I did, I think scotts form of itemizing things out would work better for me the next time. I'm not out to make a bundle of money, would be nice, but I'm not out to lose money anymore either. My postage was .63, so I lost .21. Cheap lesson learned!

Well I use to put that if you used paypal you have to pay 4% and they took my listing down and this is how I have it now

"Seller's payment instructions

All items in this event are subject to a 5% buyers premium.This fee will be added to the winning bidders high bid amount-please bid accordingly.U.S.Money Order Cashier's Check Payment within 5 days all sales final sold as is.Shipping within the U.S. excluding Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, & World. Ask about Shipping to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Alaska, Canada, & Worldwide. All items to be sold with a $1 starting bid! Most items have no reserve or minimum and will be sold regardless of price."

and that 5% is for the paypal fees.