• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a Blanchard Slab?

17 posts in this topic

I think Blanchard is/was a dealer, not a TPG. So this coin has a dealer opinion rather than a certification? How should I describe this coin in an auction? Thanks, jerry

obvslabdl.jpg

revslabdl.jpg

I know Blanchard as a mostly bullion dealer out of New Orelans.

They do sell coins also.

I have purchased bullion from they but never coins. So I do not know if they slab their own stuff or what.

link to Blanchard

Be Honest!

Can't be honest until I know what I'm describing. Many ebay sellers don't bother. Just searched and found two blanchard slabs. One has the same tired old "I'm not coin grader..." spiel. One had 4 paragraphs describing their store and business plan but didn't even mention the coin...

The way I figure it putting up a photo of the slab without an explanation implies to most that we have a coin certified by a TPG and I don't think that's what it is.

I figure Conder can tell me what I have here. I think I have a dealer's opinion. I like the cute little slab though--very attractive simple frosted plastic surrounding the viewing area and the label.

--Jerry

The slab looks pretty cool. Perhaps you can send them an email and ask them if they still self-slab? If not maybe you can say the slab itself is no longer issued and collectible wink.gif

Well it looks like their logo but I have no idea if it is a legit slab. I have never seen one by them so I cant say. I do believe Blanchard has the resources to nail the guy who did this if it isn't them.

I don't know if it's the same Blanchard or not. I may call them on Monday. But it's not a one-off. I have two of them and there are at least 2 on ebay--all with the same label.

Blanchard doesn't seem to self slab now. I found only PCGS and NGC slabs on their site.

Thanks,

jerry

Blanchard did slabbing in the late 1980's. The slab was designed for them and their equipment came from ACG. As they are to a large extent a bullion based company most of the coins you will see in Blanchard slabs are silver dollars and gold coins. They did slab some Franklins as well. There are three types of Blanchard slabs. The regular slabs like the one pictured here, Sample slabs that contain average grade common date proof 1960's cents and nickels. They have a green reverse label on their them. And the final slab is a real wierd one, an entire roll of silver dollars all slabbed in a single holder, about 10 inch by 12 and graded MS-60+. As far as I can tell the silver dollar roll slabs were done very briefly in 1989. I have seen three of them now.

And the final slab is a real wierd one, an entire roll of silver dollars all slabbed in a single holder, about 10 inch by 12 and graded MS-60+. As far as I can tell the silver dollar roll slabs were done very briefly in 1989. I have seen three of them now.

Got a photo?

I just took this picture,

It's actually a very nice slab. and its sealed like a regular slab

IThis was done in 1989. The slab pictured is morgan dollars, and marked ms60+ However, I do know that they also slabbed higher, as I also have an ms63 slab roll of peace dollars.

image.php?088c1ac90f.jpg

1754618-pic1.jpg.e807c288ba6e01dd8363b49a77d9a64a.jpg

Once I figure out how to properly use the picture thing, I will be happy to. Honestly, it looks just like a sealed capital plastics holder, except, no screws. For the person who started this thread, I have had several Blanchard slabs in my collection. I find that they are usually graded accuratly enough. Coins marked Mint state are mint state, as for grades above ms60+, they sometimes vary by as much as 2 grades. Which may not make them a great grading service, but they are certainly better than the basement slab shops showing up on ebay all the time.

The roll above is by any estimate BU thru and thru. It even seems to have 2 "end coins" which implies that they at least either actually took them out of a roll, or tried hard enough to make it seem so. You have to admire that type of initiative some times.

BUT, it is just ms60+, I have seen several of these and most are graded likewise. Lots of coins with lots of contact marks, but all with genuin luster. My guess is that they probably charged a steep premium for the packaging and such (it is very nice, and they do have the good sense to put one coin in backwards so that you get obverse and reverse views when displayed.)

My roll slab also has two end of roll coins and several of the coins show edge toning from long term contact with a paper roll. I do believe they are probably from an "original" roll.