• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can You Help With A Grade Of This 1880-O Morgan

18 posts in this topic

I just picked this up at a boot sale. Can any of you folk out there help me with a grade for this coin as I am new to coin collecting.

P.S. I paid under $100.00 for it but I don't care about the money, it's such a nice coin. Thanks, marchas45

1693714-1880mor1s.JPG.c1b81d078caa6467d39c74e83e73aba5.JPG

The reverse looks like it could fall into the MS range. Averaging out to maybe MS60. confused-smiley-013.gif It's still kind of hard to be accurate with these pics.

Probably would need some better pics to be able to give a more accurate grade there Charlie. It's really hard to see the details with these pics. If it has great luster, I see very little chatter on either side of the coin. It looks like it lacks some detail on the main points of the Obv like the cottonballs and hair and the Rev is hard to tell on the breast feathers. These are some main points that you would need to look at for detail.

I do not know if it is the picture or the coin, but I do see some rub above the ear and on the Eagles breast. Seeing that, I would put it around AU55 on a good day.

I'm gonna have to go back to my original gut look on this and agree with you.

1693714-1880mor1s.JPG

Hard to tell from this pic but looks like only about AU to me. Also 1880s??

If I sawe a picture like this on an auction listing, I would pass.

Chris

XF45/AU50 Worn and Cleaned

Someone tried to remove PVC from the neck and Rear of Head dress

I hope way under a hundred smile.gif

XF45/AU50 Worn and Cleaned

Someone tried to remove PVC from the neck and Rear of Head dress

I hope way under a hundred smile.gif

Thanks for posting what I was thinking...I can't see this coin in anything above a 45...and to be honest I think it will be hard to get there.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looks like AU-53 to me. Check for the remnants of the crossbar of a "7" in the upper loop of the second "8" in the date. The "O" mint mark is a small one, so this could be a VAM-4, Top 100.
Looks more like VAM 11,Hot 50

Click here