• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Coin Show was today!! Did I get Ripped?? Few Pics 800pix

29 posts in this topic

Ok I went my first coin show and got a couple things. I'm open to critizm and grades please!!! First was this Morgan. I paid $40 for it. What ya think?

1880SMorganNGCMS63PLRevObv.jpg

Next is this scratched half, but I've never had one and just wanted one. $50

1821CappedhalfObvRev.jpg

Next is this Columbian Half for $15

1892ColumbianHalfObvRev.jpg

Then I just had to add this token they gave us to get in and out of the show. I thought it was neat. No grade needed on this! 27_laughing.gif

TokenOBVREV.jpg

I don't know about the Morgan and Columbian, but the CBH is a O-103 and would probably net grade to VG8 or VG10. You have some nice coins!!

I also went to the show this morning but didn't really find anything.

Very nice Morgan Ms-63 dmpl,signature Bustie X obverse, cleaned, net vg, Columbian cleaned Ms-62. I really like the token. Great finds. JMHO headbang.giftakeit.gif

I like the Morgan and think that it will grade 64 with a shot at 65 because of the clean fields and superior eye-appeal. thumbsup2.gif

The 1880-s makes me nervous. It’s almost too prooflike. Morgans are outside my area of concentration so I’ll be interested to see what others say.

I would have avoided the 1821. The lack of patination would be reason enough but the scratch is just way too much for me.

The Columbian just lacks originality. It looks to be dipped or washed, maybe both. These coins are readily available in this price range with more character.

The Morgan dollar might have a shot at PL fields...I'd grade it at MS63 (the hit in the field in front of Liberty's face and the face chatter...nice frost though).

I don't know anything about CBHs

The Commem looks unc, but it's been dipped at some point..

nice first show I'd say!!

Leo

I would have avoided the 1821. The lack of patination would be reason enough but the scratch is just way too much for me.

The Columbian just lacks originality. It looks to be dipped or washed, maybe both. These coins are readily available in this price range with more character.

I 'gree. frown.gif

I agree with the general comments here. Nice pickup on the Morgan. thumbsup2.gif

The Bustie for $20-25 more you could have gotten a FAR superior coin, which when you're already dropping $50 makes a lot more sense.

The Columbian isn't my cup of tea due to the dipping/cleaning, but for $15 it's fine.

Nice token, it looks good to me. thumbsup2.gif

The important thing here is, did you enjoy yourself...what did you learn...are YOU happy with your purchases?

No, you did not get ripped, nor did you rip anyone with your purchases. It's the whole experience of going, seeing, feeling and the actual smell of the bourse floor.

Being part of it is almost as thrilling as bringing home a coin or two...nothing like a wholesome coin show.

Hope your ready to return to the next one!

I actually had alot of fun. Wished I had a lot more money. This was the cheapest bustie I found. The rest were over my budget of $115-up. The columbian was a filler cause I have an 1893 and just wanted both. The Morgan is actually in an NGC MS63PL holder. I can't wait for the next one!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Contrary to the opinions if a few other posters, I believe that the Columbian half is AU, not unc. There appears to be light wear (see the discolored/white looking areas) in the hair, on the forehead and cheek on the obverse and on the sails on the reverse.

I hope you enjoyed the show.

The important thing here is, did you enjoy yourself...what did you learn...are YOU happy with your purchases?

No, you did not get ripped, nor did you rip anyone with your purchases. It's the whole experience of going, seeing, feeling and the actual smell of the bourse floor.

Being part of it is almost as thrilling as bringing home a coin or two...nothing like a wholesome coin show.

Hope your ready to return to the next one!

I agree 100% with this post. Although I could do without some of the bourse floor smells. 893whatthe.gif

Nice pickup on the $40 Morgan!

Thanks all. I was happy with what I bought regardless of any of the prices. I bought some coins I didn't have and probably will not buy again (unless I win the lotto, then they'll be of much better grade). I'm very happy with my Morgan, it's the best one I have now. My bustie ain't the best, but I like it too. I will go to another one. I think we have the TNA coming here in may. Gonna try for that one!!

Bobby, you did well! You got a PL Morgan for regular 63 price so you got a good buy there thumbsup2.gif You paid AU price for the Columbian half so no rip off there smile.gif and the Bust Halves create there own kind of attachment. Nothing like owning a 186 year well circulated coin! You did well for a first show 893applaud-thumb.gif

Unless you have far more money than you need, I would suggest staying away from problem coinage that can be obtained for not much more in a problem-free state. This would include the damaged and cleaned CBH and dipped and possibly cleaned AU Columbian half. Combined they are a $65 investment and if you ever had to sell them again you might find it hard to recoup a large percentage of your investment. Sorry, I am just being honest.

I appreciate the honesty there Tom. I don't buy to sell. I buy for own collection. If I ever had to sell then hopefully by that time the age of the coin will over-ride the condition of the coin.

I appreciate the honesty there Tom. I don't buy to sell. I buy for own collection. If I ever had to sell then hopefully by that time the age of the coin will over-ride the condition of the coin.

I understand what you are writing and I actually felt badly, believe it or not, by the wording of my post. The reason I posted is that over the years I have met in person or online a number of folks who buy only for their collection and with no intent to sell, however, some of them have been forced to sell rather quickly and their proceeds weren't what they had hoped. Please understand that I wasn't trying to rip you, I was just trying to pass along that observation. smile.gif

I understand what you are writing and I actually felt badly, believe it or not, by the wording of my post. The reason I posted is that over the years I have met in person or online a number of folks who buy only for their collection and with no intent to sell, however, some of them have been forced to sell rather quickly and their proceeds weren't what they had hoped. Please understand that I wasn't trying to rip you, I was just trying to pass along that observation. smile.gif

No worries Tom. All is ok here!! thumbsup2.gif I'm on this forum to read, learn, and help if I can.

I don't know about the Morgan, but the Bust Half I would think worth about $20, if someone wants it. For an extra $10 you could have found a MS Columbian.

Had you taken that $115 and used it to buy one encapsulated coin, your chance of wisely spending your money would have increased dramatically.

I suggest you avoid problem coins altogether, or any coin that you think might be a problem Don't be in such a hurry to spend your coin money. You asked...

Well the Morgan was a good deal. The bust may be a problem coin for someone else, but I wasn't looking a for a potential slabbed bust, just one to have in my collection. the columbian also, not looking for an MS, just one to have in my collection. It actually looked better in the 2x2 until I seen it thru a 2800pixel photo. I'm not bothered by it though. Thanks for commenting. That's what all this is about. thumbsup2.gif

You scored BIG TIME! on the morgan dollar. If I saw it at a show, I'd expect that the dealer would have priced it at about $60-$65. Columbians are common, I understand you wanted one for your collection. At $15 you really can't go wrong. The buest half is fine just for an example. If you were starting a set, I'd say otherwise, but as a single coin, and a first example, it looks great.

Not bad for a first show!

That's a nice '80-S for $40. If it wasn't for that scratch on Liberty's cheek, it would have been in a 64 holder.

Chris

You did OK on the Morgan. Nice coin! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have seen many Columbians advertized at shows as MS, when they had very light rub. A lot of these did circulate as you know. Everyone needs to exercise care with this issue when buying a MS coin raw.

The half is nice in spitre of the damage. I like early US coinage. thumbsup2.gif

Well the Morgan was a good deal. The bust may be a problem coin for someone else, but I wasn't looking a for a potential slabbed bust, just one to have in my collection. the columbian also, not looking for an MS, just one to have in my collection. It actually looked better in the 2x2 until I seen it thru a 2800pixel photo. I'm not bothered by it though. Thanks for commenting. That's what all this is about. thumbsup2.gif

I was at that show. I shopped for a couple of hours on Saturday, and I staffed the admission desk during the last shift Sunday. Perhaps we saw each other without knowing it. I'm a member of that club, and we would love for you to visit and consider joining.

As to your show purchases--first, you accomplished your goal. Congratulations.

Second, I didn't notice many lower grade Bust halves to choose from at that show. Had you waited two months until the TNA show, you might have had more selection. Most of the bust halves I saw were much higher grade--and higher priced.

That leads me to a bit of general advice. Don't get in a rush to buy a particular coin or even type. The right coin for you may not have attended this show today. And postponing the acquisition is not much of a sacrifice in Fort Worth. There are fifty-table shows in Fort Worth or Grapevine every month or two. You won't have to wait long.

Another bit of advice is to have a backup want list. If the coins I really want are not on my list, I can find something on my backup list. That way I have a nice coin to go home with and enjoy. I don't have to feel disappointed that the object of my desire stood me up.

I'm glad you had fun. I hope you get to come to the TNA show. There is also a show in Grapevine the last weekend in April.

Thanks constuct. I was there sat. from about 10-2:00. You are right, higher grades of busts there. Honestly, I really wasn't quite prepared for my first show. I brought my 07 redbook and that was all. I actually should have brought a copy of my registry set cause I couldn't remember what I had and didn't. Next time I will be more prepared. I really just didn't know how it would look, looking at someone else's coins and going thru price guides. I didn't want to offend anyone. After I got there tho'

, I did notice that alot of others had all kinds of "back-up paperwork"? with them. I didn't know they had that many shows in the area. I am aware of the TNA show. Gonna try to go to that. I learned a lot from this first show. I didn't post this in my purchases cause it is a norm coin, but I was wanting a raw 06W unc se, and I found 1 vendor with one and bought it for $70. that was cheaper than ebay counting s&h and all. I'm glad that I went. I like my bust even with the scratches, a little solder filling and buffing and those scratches will be gone 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif"JUST JOKING". But it was all worth it to me. thumbsup2.gif