• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saturday Trivia *Zincolns* Answered!

10 posts in this topic

Increasing copper prices gave cause for the US Mint to seek a cheaper method of production of the lowly US Cent. Partway through production of the 1982 Lincoln cents, the U.S. Mint changed the coins' composition from brass (95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc) to one that is predominantly zinc (a core of 99.2 percent zinc and 0.8 percent copper with a copper barrel plating).

Now, for the question: When & where, were those first "Zincoln" cents minted?

Today prize: One of Lincoln's Drivers Licenses

DL.jpg

i dont think they (the mint) seperated the total count of coppers & zincs of 82's but here is my figures from a book(attachment)

Phil - 7.13 billion

Denver - 6.01 billion

San Fran - 1.58 billion

West Point - 1.99 Billion

Jeff

1693028-1982.JPG.925b6796f0281d2b564e881f602e4584.JPG

i dont think they (the mint) seperated the total count of coppers & zincs of 82's but here is my figures from a book(attachment)

Phil - 7.13 billion

Denver - 6.01 billion

San Fran - 1.58 billion

West Point - 1.99 Billion

Jeff

Denver didn't switch over to zinc until late October, so their numbers are mostly copper. Your number is correct for the San Fran 'zincoln' population, but they did not have a mint mark either, their proofs did have mint mark, but they were all made of copper.

You can tell the difference even without a mintmark -- the West Point cents will snap to attention when a coin of higher value comes into the room.

You can tell the difference even without a mintmark -- the West Point cents will snap to attention when a coin of higher value comes into the room.
sign-funnypost.gif

So far, al_e_gator is very close...do a bit more research with names and a date.

Sorry, I didn't see the "When" part before, and yes I was slightly off on the name.

The first zincoln was minted at the "West Point Bullion Depository" on January 7, 1982.

The West Point Bullion Depository did not gain official status as a branch of the United States Mint until March 31, 1988 and is now called the West Point Mint.

So far, al_e_gator is very close...do a bit more research with names and a date.

Sorry, I didn't see the "When" part before, and yes I was slightly off on the name.

The first zincoln was minted at the "West Point Bullion Depository" on January 7, 1982.

The West Point Bullion Depository did not gain official status as a branch of the United States Mint until March 31, 1988 and is now called the West Point Mint.

893applaud-thumb.gifGood Job!

Perhaps your date of Jan 7, 1982 is the release date, but I'm going to give it to you since at times even mint records are not accurate.

~The very first zinc cents were struck on Dec. 17th, 1981, but were actually dated 1982. They were struck at the West Point Bullion Depository which eventually became a branch mint in 1988~

Factoids

West Point Bullion Depository

The West Point branch is the newest branch mint. Its predecessor, the West Point Bullion Depository, was opened in 1937, and cents were produced there from 1973 to 1986. The West Point Mint gained official status as a branch mint on March 31, 1988. Along with the cents already mentioned, which were identical to those produced at Philadelphia, West Point has struck a great deal of commemorative and proof coinage bearing the "W" mint mark. In 1996, West Point produced clad dimes, but for collectors, not for circulation. The West Point facility is still used for storage of part of the United States' gold bullion reserves, and West Point is now the United States' only production facility for gold, silver and platinum American Eagle coins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Mint

In the 1970s, a severe shortage of one cent coins caused Treasury officials to look to West Point as an alternative to boost penny production. On August 1, 1974, the Depository began minting Lincoln cents. These coins bore no mintmark, and were therefore indistinguishable from those made at the Philadelphia Mint. Bicentennial quarters, followed by regular Washington quarters in the years 1977-79 likewise rolled off West Point's coining presses. In all, millions of coins flowed into the channels of commerce from West Point. Not bad, for an unofficial minting facility.

http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/west-point-mint.html