• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan Grade / Value Help

11 posts in this topic

Just by going by these pics I would say your looking at and MS66, maybe 67 but The pics would ned to be better to really tell.

(Way to go Jes thumbsup2.gif)

Just by going by these pics I would say your looking at and MS66, maybe 67 but The pics would ned to be better to really tell.

(Way to go Jes thumbsup2.gif)

I must respectfully disagree, due to what looks like a lot of chatter in the field immediately in front of the profile, which is a prime eye-drawing area. Although the devices look really clean, and the reverse excellent, I think this one would probably reside in an MS65 slab, with a value slightly north of $200.

If I'm wrong about the chatter, if it's much less obvious than I see in the pics, then the coin could well be of higher grade and value. Additionally, even though the pics are good for their size, they're far too small to be reliably looking to grade a coin of Gem quality. So, everything said here has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Another thought is the character of the "toning." I could easily believe it's an original-surfaces artifact, but it could also have happened under circumstances that some would call "artificial," in the sense that somebody stuck the coin in a place that would encourage toning and left it there for a while, as opposed to using chemicals and processes that would cause toning. I've seen a few do this splotchy toning thing after being dipped.

I think its on the lower end too MS64/65 - Field chatter and the COntrast looks like its hiding some other marks tough to tell with those pictures

The '89 has one of the largest mintages at 21,726,000 and the sharpness of the strike runs the full gamut. The strike appears to be better than average with some cameo contrast. Perhaps different lighting might serve to improve the actual appearance. There is some chatter in the obverse field and there appears to be some slight marks on Liberty. I would definitely need larger photos to see more detail. MS64..............$100-$125.

Chris

This coin happens to be a Barwing Vam 19a. How much do you think it would be worth with the vam?

Now, that's a horse of a different color! According to the January, 2007 VAMView, the retail price at MS64 is $600. There is no listing at MS65. VAMView is a retail price index that averages sales that are reported. Extremely low or high prices are thrown out so as not to skew the average.

Chris