• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPDATE: Proof 1905 Indian head Cent........

7 posts in this topic

Rick Snow was kind enough to chime in across the street and point out some die diagnostics for this proof issue. If you look near the rim above the F in OF there is a small raised mark that he calls a die file mark. This coin has that mark so I can pretty much conclusively say this is a proof. I re-photo'd the coin to try and capture the mirrors and the true color of the coin. These images are pretty accurate. Whether the color is original is hard to say. I am leaning toward it being original, because where the coin has been handled by the edges over the last century it is brown from contact with oils and salts from the skin. The coin is about 95% red. The reverse has something interesting going on there are 3 marks on the rim that do not appear as though they could've been caused post mint because they are too uniform and would've most likely caused some damage to the devices or the fields. Any ideas as to what could've caused those marks? I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I purchased this on ebay for 20 bucks on a poor photo that listed it as uncirculated and I wanted to correctly identify it as a proof.

Jason

1905proofo.jpg

1905proofr.jpg

Those images are a whole lots better. Great looking proof and an even better deal. Go back ATS and get your "You Suck" award. thumbsup2.gif

FWIW, my NGC-certified 1905 proof has the same die markers as your coin, and these shots make the fields look more mirrored than the first photos. Along with Rick's comments, I'd say the likelihood of this being a proof has just gone way up. Congrats...Mike

p.s. my coin has a similar die-file mark emerging from the dentils between and above the AT in STATES (actually just off the left edge of the second T), and another above the first A in AMERICA. Does your coin have these marks also? They don't seem to be visible in your photos (nor mine).

I have a 1905 Proof in an ANACS holder without the marks.

Now I'm thinking mine is not a proof. I think I'm going to be sad. frown.gif

Did Rick change his post? He wrote across the steet that the proof issue has die marks above both the O and the F within OF. Perhaps he did not write what he meant.

Did Rick change his post? He wrote across the steet that the proof issue has die marks above both the O and the F within OF. Perhaps he did not write what he meant.

I believe he did, this coin has both markers, but the one above the O is difficult to see in my photo, but I can see it under magnification. Unfortunately my camera will not zoom in close enough to capture the other mark.

JJ