• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ancient or chinese ?

6 posts in this topic

Hello

I'm trying to invest my money on an ancient silver coin. (I know very little about ancient coins...)

Are these coins real, what are their real values and are they made of ??% silver ?

Which one is the best option, if any ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ancient.png

Prices:

Coin 1.) 33.00 $ 29 €

-//- 2.) 33.00 $ 29 €

-//- 3.) 40.00 $ 30 €

Thanks...

I'm no expert on ancient coins -- but as far as those pictured go, I'm leaning toward copies -- they look "too good" from a distance and there are a lot of copies out there.

Past history shows that Ancient coins aren't the best investment -- very little value growth.

Very, very collectible though -- and an interesting window into history... I have a few and it is a thrill to hold a 1000+ year old coin in your hand and imagine all the other hands that may have held it -- merchants, gladiators, priests, knights...

I have seen some really nice ones that were hoarded before circulation and it is possible that those came from such a hoard. Holding them in your hand would be the best "weigh" to tell -- the copies generally feel light.

As far as metal content in ancient coins -- it fluctuates wildly from almost pure to just enough to give it a silver color.

Hi there.. i have a few of these in my collection and the price seems spot on they are "probably real" you need them in the hand to be sure and are just silver coated. Thousands have been found in europe..

Hello

+ Thanks for the info.

Silver coated... I usually only buy coins, which are made of 80% (or more) silver, better look something more noble . hi.gif

I'm trying to invest my money on an ancient silver coin. (I know very little about ancient coins...)

I would suggest to you in your case that you either buy ancient coins authenticated (and guaranteed) by a trustworthy third party or at very least from a dealer whom you know by reputation that you can trust.

Silver coated... I usually only buy coins, which are made of 80% (or more) silver, better look something more noble .

Why? When you are dealing with ancient coins the amount of silver or gold etc in the coin really have very little to do with the value of the coin or whether or not its value changes.

I also would not advise "investing" your money in ancient coins (or any coins as far as that matter goes) unless you are VERY knowlegable in the particular field/item you are buying. A great deal of the money made by "investors" in coins is made by those who just happen to be in the right place at the right time, Get your timing off just a little either way and as an investment it winds up being fairly poor. And you tend to hear about the few people who win but not the many who lose.

If you are really hoping to make money because of the metal in the coins, just buy bullion and ignore coins.