• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value Posts

9 posts in this topic

There have been several grade and value posts lately. I really appreciate the grading part as it gives us an opportunity to hone our skills when grading from an Internet picture. It is the value part I don't get.

Is it an "objective" value based upon the current market forces as one would find in the bid and ask sections of the Greysheet?

Is it the price that one finds on sites like Heritage or in Coin Values or the Internet pricing guide from across the street which are based upon recent transactions?

Is it the price I could expect to pay from a retailer? A local dealer? At a coin show? At auction?

Is it the value I place on the coin? If so, who cares what I think a coin is worth? That is between a seller and prospective buyer to determine using the above sources plus discernment, desire and need.

Are these value posts to help a prospective seller find a range that he might expect to receive from a particular coin?

What's the point?

Maybe the value point is to help a seller realize if they have paid to much or if they got a deal for a coin. Collectors who purchase coins can give a better idea of value to a coin that all the *spoon* that you see on ebay going for extreme prices for common, mis-leading, fake, cleaned, error ???? coins. I think it's a great courtesy from our members to be able to be honest with someone regarding the condition and the value of each other's coins. I think it's the two main knowledge areas that everyone wants to know. Grading & Value!!

It is the value part I don't get.

Im slightly confused. I always want to know what my collection is worth, whether the value is increasing or decreasing. Keeping track of the value regardless whether the price is up or down is part of the enjoyment I get out of collecting coins. I also love the hear what others think a particular coin is worth and why and where they got there information.

I had interpreted the value portion of these threads as simply being what each member of the boards might think the coin is worth based upon their individual experiences. I had not thought that anyone posting these threads was attempting to derive a market value from them for the purpose of sales. In short, I believe the folks who ask for such opinion have been doing so in order to produce a little fun and have some discussion.

Just my take... generally, I think a coin has four values. In order from least to most, they are:

(1) "public" value - what a non-collector can expect to get from a dealer (frequently expressed as "ten back", or some percentage below grey-sheet)

(2) "wholesale" value - what I'd expect it to trade for between dealers (frequently something between "greysheet bid" and "greysheet ask")

(3) "retail" value - what I'd expect to get for a coin given average demand (frequently something based loosely on "trends")

(4) "my" value - how much more than "retail" I personally would be willing to spend for a coin - and if it's something I really want, I'd be glad to pay even over retail

That's good James. Also I think that the forum comments probably pertain more to two of those values you mentioned. "Retail/Market & "My Value" (not specific for requestor as is replier).

The reason I stated value as well is this... Just because you can get a grade right on a coin does not always mean you can go to a price guide and look up a coins price. We all know they are all over the map. The value part for me was more just to shed some light on a series I am more familar with. The values I stated were just mere parts of what the market is doing today and what one would expect to pay for a coin like the one shown.

Thanks for all of the clarifications that have been offered. Now that I understand better, I can say thank you to Bruce and the others who have included this feature in their recent posts - thank you!

Just my take... generally, I think a coin has four values. In order from least to most, they are:

(1) "public" value - what a non-collector can expect to get from a dealer (frequently expressed as "ten back", or some percentage below grey-sheet)

(2) "wholesale" value - what I'd expect it to trade for between dealers (frequently something between "greysheet bid" and "greysheet ask")

(3) "retail" value - what I'd expect to get for a coin given average demand (frequently something based loosely on "trends")

(4) "my" value - how much more than "retail" I personally would be willing to spend for a coin - and if it's something I really want, I'd be glad to pay even over retail

Hi, everyone! I'm glad to learn that this grade/value concept as an exercise is giving some people cause to put on their thinking caps. James, your #4 is exactly what I intended for my thread. Consider each coin as though it were one that you wanted for your personal collection. Don't just assign a grade. Tell us why and what qualities you like or dislike about the coin. Isn't this what we all do when we are considering the purchase of a coin? Now, tell us what you would be willing to pay to obtain it.

Chris