• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1875 trade dollar PCGS PO01

14 posts in this topic

... on the bay. This isn't mine. I just ran across it and thought it was worth posting because of the PO 01 discussions we've had here. Anyone need a trade dollar for their PO01 type set?

226f_12.JPG

The buy it now price is amusing. So is the hype that 90% of all Trade Dollars today are counterfeit. I have a lot of trouble believing that. Now if one wants such a fine example of a P 01, go for it, just spare me the other claims.

So is the hype that 90% of all Trade Dollars today are counterfeit. I have a lot of trouble believing that.
Do a study on raw trade dollars on eBay. You might hit 90% wink.gif

This is why I do not buy raw coins on Ebay from sellers I do not know or have built a relationship with over time. I would agree that there are lot of raw fakes out there but I was thinking about the ones offered by reputable dealers in their stores, shows, auctions and websites.

This is why I do not buy raw coins on Ebay from sellers I do not know or have built a relationship with over time. I would agree that there are lot of raw fakes out there but I was thinking about the ones offered by reputable dealers in their stores, shows, auctions and websites.
Well, the venue is eBay here so I took that as the context. Obviously if you change the context you can get a different number. If you consider only NGC/PCGS-encapsulated trade dollars sold by Mark Feld, the probability of getting a counterfeit is close to 0%.

If you do all trade dollars on eBay, raw and encapsulated, you might still hit 90% wink.gif

... But doesn't PCGS slab chopmarked coins? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
I've seen PCGS slabbed chopmarked trade dollars. Maybe this one has too many chop marks and thus not market acceptable? Or maybe there's some other altered surfaces going on?

I've seen PCGS slabbed chopmarked trade dollars. Maybe this one has too many chop marks and thus not market acceptable? Or maybe there's some other altered surfaces going on?

I think the chopmarks were OK. It just didn't grade because of the altered surfaces. From the pics it looks like it might have been whizzed.

I think the chopmarks were OK. It just didn't grade because of the altered surfaces. From the pics it looks like it might have been whizzed.

Unless the chop marks were phony.

Anyone need a trade dollar for their PO01 type set?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

overhyped

overpriced

POS