• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your favorite 20th century coin design and/or series?

55 posts in this topic

Favorite design: Standing Liberty Quarter [ all types ]

Favorite series: Barbers [ nickel, dime, quarter, halves & Trade dollar ]

Runners Up: Walking Liberty Halves, Buffalo Nickels, Incuse design $2 1/2 & $5 gold.

Regular Issues...

Favorite Obverse: Barber (all)

Favorite Reverse: Morgan Dollar

Least Favorite Obverse: Kennedy Half (political reasons)

Least Favorite Reverse: Sacagawea Dollar

Commemorative...

Favorite Obverse: Eisenhower 1990

Favorite Reverse: Jefferson Dollar (cool 3/4 view of Monticello)

Least Favorite Obverse: Pat Shriver and Bobby Kennedy (political reasons)

Least Favorite Reverse: can' think of one.

Regular Issues...

Favorite Obverse: Barber (all)

Favorite Reverse: Morgan Dollar

Least Favorite Obverse: Kennedy Half (political reasons)

Least Favorite Reverse: Sacagawea Dollar

Commemorative...

Favorite Obverse: Eisenhower 1990

Favorite Reverse: Jefferson Dollar (cool 3/4 view of Monticello)

Least Favorite Obverse: Pat Shriver and Bobby Kennedy (political reasons)

Least Favorite Reverse: can' think of one.

Get with the program, the question was?: What is your favorite 20th century coin design?

Your the only one out of 4 pages who listed least favorite just so you could inject politics in a negative fashion, quite frankly I'm tired of your remarks and there is no room for those kind of political remarks in a coin forum. mad.gif

We can always count on Hoot to quote himself... poke2.gif

Damn Jeff! Harsh! I'm required to quote myself when citing CV, since I no longer own the story. confused-smiley-013.gif Besides, I was really quoting Ms. Anthony's niece. makepoint.gif Did someone wake you up with an ice pick today? insane.gif

Hoot

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, the lawyers made you do it! Besides, as evident (I thought) by my poke2.gif you would understand my joke, but apparently all that time in nature has made you too sensitive! gossip.gif Besides, I just thought it was funny that other board members were praising you for quoting yourself (yeah, I know the legal arguments again).

Anyhow, can we at least get back to discussing why the Eunice Kennedy Shriver dollar is the greatest coin design of the 20th Century, that is what this thread is about isn't it? 893whatthe.gif

Nothing can beat the American Silver Eagle Proof (Obverse) with the Walking Liberty Half coming in a close second. Why the ASE first? The size, detail, the art. WOW !!!

Nothing can beat the American Silver Eagle Proof (Obverse) with the Walking Liberty Half coming in a close second. Why the ASE first? The size, detail, the art. WOW !!!

I love the ASE myself but it runs a close race with the beautiful design of the Morgan Dollar!!

Don't forget the reverse proof ASE! However, I do like the Walker reverse a lot more than the ASE reverse.

I love the ASE myself but it runs a close race with the beautiful design of the Morgan Dollar!!

No offense intended but from an artistic point of view, how can you compare the artwork that goes into a profile of a face to a full walking Miss Liberty?

Besides the Morgan profile, from a beauty point of view, loses hands down to the profile on the Peace Dollar. Now that's a fox!!

Besides the Morgan profile, from a beauty point of view, loses hands down to the profile on the Peace Dollar. Now that's a fox!!

I should point out that the Morgan is not a 20th century design.

I say we should put her on a coin.............................................................. 1692852-IMG_1395.JPG

Chris

1692852-IMG_1395.JPG.9967d89824377319f3953362726dbdc8.JPG

Wasn't she on the Type 1 Standing Liberty Quarter? wink.gif

Yeah I think your right, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif but you see how that lasted… 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

As to what I like from the 20th century:

#1, Walking Liberty half; from a time when coins were designed by sculptors that produced their share of the most beautiful U.S. coins I put this half at the top of the heap.

Most agree that the obverse is a beautiful interpretation of liberty draped in the flag, but I also feel that the eagle on the reverse is the finest rendering of an eagle found on U.S. coins, I love the out stretched wings with deeply defined feathers that appear majestic even thought it’s standing on the ground.

Shown below is a bronze plaque for the Louisiana Purchase Exposition of 1904 by Adolph Alexander Weinman that has a similar designed eagle found on several works by this Art Nouveau artist.

aob.jpg

arev.jpg

After that, the quarter and half gold eagles, buffalo nickels, peace dollar (deep dish please), mercury dime and last but far from least, type one standing liberty quarter… thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

The proof Smithsonian, Community Service and Dolly Madison commemorative dollars and the obverse of the 1988 $5 gold commem featuring Nike. Oh, and the Eunice Shriver commem dollar! tongue.gif

I'm partial to the Lincoln Cents myself:

Jeez, Lee, I never would have guessed. grin.gif NICE 1910-S. thumbsup2.gif

Rexcat, that is a COOL medal! thumbsup2.gif

I'm partial to the Lincoln Cents myself:

Jeez, Lee, I never would have guessed. grin.gif NICE 1910-S. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, and I also enjoy the "Classics" grin.gif

1920mnecomp.jpg

That's the most spectacular Maine commem I've ever seen - in photo or in person. Stunning!

Hoot

I've not seen too many of them, but I have to agree with Hoot. Wow!

Chris

Thanks guy's! It was one of those coins that I couldn't pass up. I paid 4X Price Guide for it and haven't regreted it since. grin.gif

maineobvslab.jpg

Pretty much all of the designs changes in the early part of the century plus the Oregon Trail.

1) Buffalo

2) SLQ

3) $10 Indian

4) Incuse gold

5) Walker

6) Merc

Least favorite: Dead Presidents.

jom