• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WASHINGTON DOLLAR UPSIDE DOWN EDGE LETTERING!

24 posts in this topic

I opened two rolls and found 26 upside down and 24 rightside up lettering. What happened to QC????popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

There's a 50/50 chance of either side being fed facing up through the lettering machine since it is all at random.

Your odds were 52/48 which is pretty darn close to 50/50.

Are these coins error coins?. from everything I read they are not yet I see auctions on ebay selling 5 of the upsidedown error coins for 325.00 WOW. Isnt this fraud?.

Any info on the subject?.

I only have laid hands on 1 of the new coins so far, and it was upside down -- that's 100%!!!!!! I think the ones with the lettering right side up are the error coin!!!!

All randomness being even, it's going to end up being 50/50.

Flip a coin 10 times, and you might get something other than 50/50 -- flip it 300,000,000 times and it will be real close to 50/50.

Find one with nothing on the edge -- then sell it fast before everyone figures out there are 50,000+ of them.

And do not forget that there is about a 99% chance that during the feeding process the coins a flipped, banged, tossed, and tumbled to no better than MS62

Then wouldn't sellers listing tham on ebay as error coins be commiting fraud?.

No more so than ebay sellers calling a coin an error simply because of a die crack.

Neither are errors...they are merely normal artifacts of the minting process.

And doesnt ebay act on this?. Thanks

No.

Oh!! I thought is was all struck at one time??

The edge lettering is added after the coin is struck using a 3-part collar.

From the US Mint: "Due to the minting process used on the circulating coins, the edge-incused inscription positions will vary with each coin."

Scott hi.gif

I read that the coins are struck THEN tumbled into a different machine to put the edge on. The way the coins land on the second machine is how they are imprinted.

AS a side note, in a post ATS, it said that an entire box (100,000+) coins were never sent to this second machine. This created the smooth edges we are seeing today. And probably the reason that the coins look AU out of the roll. Strangely, there was no mention of primates and sandpaper rooms?

If the US mint would just invest in a little simple automation (i.e.: multiple vision systems) they could ensure that all coins had edge lettering and were struck face up. The cost would be very minimal in comparison.