• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade / Value...

24 posts in this topic

So I am going to put a Washington Quarter up. I want you to guess the grade and put a VALUE that YOU would pay for this coin. Your value will be tied to the grade so it will be interesting to see what people would pay. Take whatever you want into factor. This idea was spawned from Chris's thread.

ce8.jpg

Hey, Bruce, I was wondering if someone would "run with the ball" on this.

While I am not a quarter collector, it does look awfully nice. It's too bad the obverse isn't the same as the reverse. Then, even for someone like me, it would probably be a little easier. It's harder for me to pick up on things through the toning and the fingerprint doesn't help, but since you have obliged me, I will go out on a limb and say that it looks 67/68. It looks like there is a slight mark on the cheek, so I shall err on the side of conservatism and say 67. If I had a 25c collection (not a dealer) and wanted this coin, I would probably offer $175.

If I am way off base, one way or the other, please laugh quietly.

Thanks!

Chris

I think the fingerprint is the most major infraction here. It's pretty strong thru the toning. I would have to go with a MS64 and a price of about $25-$30. I'm not a master by far of washingtons.

My guess would be an MS-65. Value that I would pay - $30.00, because of the amount of toning. My 58 D is toned on the obverse as well, but not the reverse at all. Not anywhere near this one in color but it stands out from the others in the series.

I would grade this coin an MS66 due to the strong strike, especially on the obverse. The toning, especially the green, is a little bright for what one would normally find on these coins. Since this is a date I like to collect I would pay $60-65 for it. Without the finger print I would go up to $75-80.

Bruce...I'd give him a MS-65 for only $25 because of the finger print/mottled tone.

I would have gone 66 but I percieve the reverse as being a bit weak for 66, it may look better in hand than the image.

I don't know Washies for squat, but with that said, the obverse looks 66 (the scratch(?) at 3 o'clock holds it back) and the reverse looks a 64 because of the hit by the eagles head, so net grade 65, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it came back 66. With that toning I'd pay $60 for a 65 and $70 for a 66.

Not real experienced on the Wash.Quarter here either. But I would say a solid 64 only due to the weak reverse and a few minor dings and would give 30-40 bux for it as I like the eye appeal.Even with the finger print !

Ok so this game has gone on long enough... Here is what I think based on my Dealings with Washingtons. This coin would easily get into a MS 65 holder PCGS or NGC. This is one of those coin that if the grader liked it, it would be in an MS 66 holder. The luster is not strong enough to make it into an MS67 holder. The strike and ammount of hits are ok for MS 66 and so is the luster. Depending on how the Services view the color on the coin which is 100% NT. Personally I think the fingerprint adds a bit of character to the coin. Technical Grade MS 65++. Services? Who Knows? Eye Appeal A. This is a coin many people would love to own givin the price is right for THEM. Now who I am to say as to when the price will be right for the buyer. We all have different price points we will not go over. Oh and for those of you who are not Washington guys take a look at what is out there in MS66 holders PCGS or NGC and you see what I am talking about. Some of yall mentioned the strike weakness on the reverse, in all reality take a look at ANY D mint coin from 1955 to 1964. These can be some of the hardest coins to find nice. I am not talking dollar wise, but those of you who collect coins with good eye appeal know what I am talking about. It does not always have to be high dollar to make it hard to find. Just ask anybody looking for a 1955 D. So if you must have a value this coin could go anywhere from $40.00 to $175.00 in my opinion givin its marketing and such. Thanks for playing!

I would agree that the fingerprint does give the coin a little character, but I also think from a TPG point of view that it would be an infraction against the coin. Also for a potential buyer, I think that the fingerprint would be something I wouldn't want on a coin. This is my only reason for maybe going witha MS64. The toning is nice, the details are nice. IMHO

Bruce's coin has typical colors for a '58-D, IMO a NT coin.

Here's a '58-P I picked up in 2004 for $45. It's a PCGS MS66. I go back and forth a bit on the obverse color, but the reverse is a no brainer NT and I can't imagine anyone would f#ck with a nice NT coin with the potential for screwing it up for that sort of money.

Washington58P66.jpg

Looks like AT, unless the color was enhanced in some software.

Please tell me your reasoning for thinking this is AT? I would love to hear it. I want something other tham "This is my gut feeling". Thanks! As to the fingerprint which is not that bad at all. Remeber the size of a quarter in hand. Now if this coin was blast white and the fingerprint was there, then I could say you could dock the coin. Since it is toned and almost blends into the toning it would not be docked at the services. This is a classic End roller and a neat coin at that. As per Skyman's coin. It is very pretty and I would tend to think it is NT. This looks like something a mint set could do to a quarter.

Bruce, I like the coin and would be glad to have it in my collection.

That being said, I mentioned above that the green color looks brighter than I have seen on many coins. Does the picture adequately reflect the green of the coin in hand? I know there is a big difference when I look at coins on my office computer (Dell) versus my home computer (Gateway). I have a number of Washington Quarters from the mid-50's in NGC MS66 holders and your example looks better than most of them.

So what is it like in hand?

It's a nice coin, but in my opinion that is where the coin stops at..."nice". I've already read the comments so I will post a few more observations on the coin, as shown, and these comments are based upon extensive experience in this niche market for the past twelve years.

First, there is nothing wrong or unusual about the strike of this coin. The toning around the letters on the obverse helps them appear to standout more than they would have if the coin were white, but the portrait has the detail one would expect of an adequately struck coin while the reverse is also typical. In other words, the coin is not weakly struck. Also, the toning as portrayed in the images screams that it is real. There is nothing about the toning that makes me hesitate at all in that opinion, and I would dearly love to read why someone else might think it to be artificial. Lastly, this coin would fall within the vast continuum of MS64-MS66 depending on the luck of the draw. I am not kidding about that. My gut impression is that the coin is an MS65, but the eye appeal that a TPG grader might ascribe to it in-hand would be the wild card that would determine MS64-MS66. Similarly, this eye appeal, or lack thereof, would also determine the grade for the coin if raw. The vibrant green might push the coin to MS66, but the irregular pattern might hold it to MS64. Again, I believe it is an MS65. Assuming that the green is vibrant, the value range as determined by my eye and for my collection would dictate this coin as $40-$45 and if I had it on my table at a show I would likley be asking $55-$65, but would accept less. The reason for this apparently low price is because the 1958-D US Mint Sets contained some of the best toned coinage within the entire double-Mint Set run of 1947-1949 and 1951-1958. Therefore, an attractively toned 1958-D Washington quarter is essentially the generic or prototypical attractively toned coin and deserves a smaller premium.

The Green is really nice in hand. The color is Spot on for the coin. In hand the coin is MS 65++ in my opinion. As Tom said the coin is nice but what is where it stops. I am glad to own the coin!

The Green is really nice in hand. The color is Spot on for the coin. In hand the coin is MS 65++ in my opinion. As Tom said the coin is nice but what is where it stops. I am glad to own the coin!

Cool! Thanks for the clarification. I would give it a 66 myself but Tom's range is probably more accurate.