• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question regarding a Lovett's tomb medal graded by NGC?

20 posts in this topic

To any board member and/or NGC person -

Can you provide me with any information on a Lovett's tomb medal (N.D. Baker 128 A)? I just bought one certified as PR66 by NGC. I only know that it is gorgeous and that I know nothing else about it! confused.gif

I can't find that particular Baker number/variety anywhere on the internet. Any help/information would be much appreciated.

Is Washington on the coin? There were engravers named George Lovett and Robert Lovett who made Washington tokens about the time of the Civil War. Couldn't find N.D. Baker 128 A but he wrote a book on exonumia. Here are similar coins.

http://www.coins.nd.edu/WashToken/WashTokenText/1860-69e.html

And I don't know about Mark, but I lovett here, and there, and over there too.

I don't know, mark, I don't think that mark was on the mark when he first marked up his post. I'm mark and mark my words, neither of us are hitting the mark, 'cause I think we've been marked. I think that if we made the correct re-mark, mark, then mark may make a mark with this post. I'm going to book mark this.

mark (Hoot)

tongue.gifblush.gifshocked.gifsmile.gifooo.gif

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just so y'all don't think that we blew off Mark's question, it was answered yesterday via private mail.

Mark,

I saw that this post had gotten buried with the increased activity and wanted to bring it to the top for you so others could see, but couldn't resist trying to make a joke with it as well. wink.gif

My falderal was simply a nice way of saying "I dunno," but I'd sure like to see the answer to the question!

Hoot

Thanks Hoot and Keith - here is what I ended up writing on our web site:

"N.D. Baker 128-A Lovett's Tomb Medal NGC PR66

We knew only 4 things about this medal when we purchased it : 1) the cost; 2) the NGC grade; 3) the fact that it was absolutely exquisite, in terms of design, quality and toning and 4) that we knew nothing else about it other than the fact that it was so beautiful we had to buy it!. W.S. Baker's book, Medallic Portraits of Washington, mentions at least four different tomb pieces executed by George Hampden Lovett of NYC., this one being silver, as opposed to the gold, copper and white metal strikings. Most likely struck in the late 1860's. While these medals actually display Washington's tomb, they are referred to as Lovett's tomb medals, since Lovett executed them. Please note, we are not offering this item as anything other than a beautifully designed medal in an exquisite state of preservation. But, is it ever gorgeous!"

If anyone wants to view an image (which is actually a bit darker than and not quite as pretty as the actual medal), go to www.pinnacle-rarities.com, then to "inventory" at the upper left, then to "patterns and miscellaneous". It might be worth the effort. Also, if someone would care to tell me how to link imges, I'm, all ears, or should I say all eyes!

That is a really nice token. I hadn't known they existed. If this works then just copy the address of the pic and then paste under the instant UBB code image on your post. 40234901.jpg

Well, didn't work exactly as I thought but this method gives a shorter route.