• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Business Strike Busty - Overgraded in Holder

24 posts in this topic

I took several shots of the coin in different lighting. The overall real-life tone of the coin is more like the reverse.

Is everyone basing their grades on the Obverse or is this your net grade?

Here is another photo of the obverse. The holder caused the moon shadow on the upper right quadrant edges.

1831BustyObv2.jpg

What about the "PLUR" in "PLURIBUS" and the base of the first "T" in STATES on the Reverse. Is this just a late die state coin?

A very late state die strike in this case...it looks as though there's not even a denticle to be found on that reverse.

You'll often find dips (a weakly struck area) in the strikes off the eagles head going through the banner and up into the letters. Die deteriation and even uneven planchets are the most likely cause.

Your second obverse picture is better. I think your coin would grade AU-55 with a shot at AU-58. Please let us know how it graded and by what grading service.

Your pictures are making a grade decision tough. It looks to be O-105 R3. One never knows whether or not NGC takes into account the condition of the dies for a given marriage. NGC likely graded this one AU 55.

What about the "PLUR" in "PLURIBUS" and the base of the first "T" in STATES on the Reverse. Is this just a late die state coin?

A very late state die strike in this case...it looks as though there's not even a denticle to be found on that reverse.

You are correct, there are no denticles to be found on the reverse. Maybe these are traces of denticles running into the letters. I am not very familiar with this series to identify any varieties.

BustyRevUnited.jpg

BustyRevAmerica.jpg

BustyRevStates.jpg

Your pictures are making a grade decision tough. It looks to be O-105 R3. One never knows whether or not NGC takes into account the condition of the dies for a given marriage. NGC likely graded this one AU 55.

I apologize for the poor photo quality. I am just coming into the digital age with a new camera that I am still learning. These are all handheld shots using a lamp or flashlight for lighting.

I'll have to look up O-105.

I couldn't find a good photo or complete diagnostics for the O-105, but from the photos that I did see it does appear that it could be the O-105.

Lines in the sheild do extend into the cross bars and the I in UNITED is tilted to the left. I couldn't find any clear diagnostics that matched up to the Obverse.

Please let us know how it graded and by what grading service.

Good guessing everyone. The coin graded as an AU50 by ANACS and no variety was listed on the plastic.

I've had the coin for 14 years and I always thought it to be an XF due to the weak reverse and lack of denticles. As I said, I am not too familiar with this coin type. Paid $120 for it back then.

I am thinking about switching the slab to either NGC or PCGS depending on the premium provided from each TPG. Also debating on whether to crack it or leave as is for submitting.

For some reason, I assumed your coin was NGC, not ANACS. Guess I was looking for the little ANACS marking on the holder, and did not see any.

If ANACS graded your coin a long time ago, you stand a good chance of a better grade with NGC these days. It would not be expensive, and an extra five grading points would pay for grading/shipping fees multiple times.Your ANACS 50 should be worth around $250.

Edited to correct my mistake. You probably noticed I earlier referred to my similar coin in the 1813 thread I included. Somehow I added the last part about a different coin in a different thread. Sorry.

For some reason, I assumed your coin was NGC, not ANACS. Guess I was looking for the little ANACS marking on the holder, and did not see any.

If ANACS graded your coin a long time ago, you stand a good chance of a better grade with NGC these days. It would not be expensive, and an extra five grading points would pay for grading/shipping fees multiple times.Your ANACS 50 should be worth around $500.

Compare your coin with my ANACS 50 specimen posted in the thread below. My coin was graded using the ANACS standards from 1992. Show pictures of both sides of your coin in the holder and we can roughly determine when it was graded.

1813 Capped Bust Half Dollar thread

I know the grading date was prior to 10/1993 (when I purchsed it, obviously). I sure hope someone is willing to put $500 down when I go to sell it, I still see them going for around $200 at auction.

SlabObv.jpg

SlabRev.jpg

Regardless of when the 1831 was graded, it looks like an AU55. It appears to be minumally worn and dripping with luster. The drapery is weakly struck and so is the left-facing wing. Anacs has always been all over the map with bust halves, and usually on the conservative side. They often do not appreciate luster when grading such coins. Sometimes they are right on, but often I'm left shaking my head in amazment.

Also, you can't accurately compare the grade of an 1813 with an 1831 because of the drastic differences in design. Sometimes you can't even compare different die varieties of the same year due to the differring wear patterns of the largely hand punched dies.

I appreciate everyone's input on this item. The weak reverse threw me on this one.

I do not know too much about the series, but I have learned a lot in the last day or so since pulling this out and posting it.

The reverse, to me, looks like O-105 or O-106, but I just can't find a match with the obverse to confirm it. It would be nice to know the variety prior to crossing it over to another TPG.

I corrected my earlier post. Somehow I included comments about an 1813 CBH in a different thread. You probably wondered why I referred you to a thread on 1813 CBHs.confused.gif

Your coin likely will bring about $250 in the ANACS 50 holder, not the $500 I thought the 1813 would bring. Sorry. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think your question's been answered so I can't really add much new. I agree with the AU50 grade, and that it's not under-graded. Yes it is a later die state as evidenced by the dissolution of the milling and the stretching of the letters. There are also striking issues as well. All of which make for an interesting piece. I would cross it over.

edited to add: by the flow lines of the reverse, I would suspect it still retains significant luster. I cannot say the same for the obverse, however.