• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Better photos of Indian Head , Proof or Business strike.

10 posts in this topic

This is not something I'm looking to purchase, as I already own it. I do not believe the color to be original, although the color and mirrors are hard to capture in the photo. I would just like to know if the coin is a proof or business strike.

JJ

1905proof1.jpg

1905proof2.jpg

I think it would have been better and potentially less confusing to have included the new images in the original thread, but...

I feel more strongly now that the coin is a business strike. In particular, the lettering does not appear to be as sharp and squared off as it should be for a Proof. And, while you have indicated that the surfaces are reflective, I can't see it in the images.

Hair details are not as in a PROOF Coin - I own one

Edges are not as sharp as in a Proof Coin

Lettering is a little off

MS coin although a nice one

I still think it is a business strike. It just does not have "proof" sharpness, and in my opinion, the rims are in fact not squared off. There is also no squaring off where the dentils meet the rims. 1905 is not a difficult date to find nicely struck, and I think that's what you have.

Looks like a business strike to me. The strike looks pretty good, but the lack of mirrors is what says to me that it is not a proof. FWIW, here's my proof of the same date for comparison:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

JJ great post, very interesting post. Very educational. Learning from very knowledgeable people. Thanks.

As to your worry about unnatural color of your coin, I have several Indians that are various stages of MS that have the same coloration or toning. I have had these since the late 70's and they are moreso now than when I bought them with nothing being done in storage. Maybe the hard plastic holders had a little something to do with it but I do not know. I do feel that it is a normal coloration process on some of these coins as I also have many that do not show this(mostly older though).

Again great post.

Jes

Rick Snow responded across the street and pointed out that there was only one obverse die for proofs of this year. This coin has the die markers, and therefor he believes it is a proof. By the way, picked this up on Ebay for 20 bucks last year. It was listed as uncirculated. The color may be questionable, but it is not horrible, and may be original. I may send it to Anacs just to see what they have to say.

Jason