• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a MS68 Washington $1 ???? - ( BIG PICTURES )

19 posts in this topic

Well I tell you - These have got to be the worst produced coins in history. Average grade of two rolls I got is maybe 63 .. then in the middle of one of the rolls I purchased I found this ... Shoe in 67 .. Maybe 68

Whadya' think ?? ( All the $1 have that Metal flow marks at least the 50 I purchased did so it should not detract from a grading stand point )

1685398-washms68.jpg

1685398-washms68.jpg.7b8f183949a3d18328c44f61e6cd14bc.jpg

Nicest example I have seen to date --- my guess is 66 shot 67.

The chatter around the rims would seem to preclude a 68, but who knows how they are going to grade these ultimately?

Another wildcard is the mint set coins -- will they be SF, or will some of them lose enough of the SF "look" to be considered a business strike?

You know... I got a handful that look that good.

I'll try to post some pics later in the evening.

If you have a hand full - I would be assuming you went through 10 to 15 rolls to find them ... These things are hit pretty bad in rolls - bags have to be worse ... I found 3 decent ones out of 50 which wasnt bad knowing what I know now ...

The graders never count that part of the rim towards grade on Sacagawea dollars, so I dont think they will on these either.

Since part of the strike is now incused into the rim, I do believe the graders will take into account the third side of this particular coin. (hence the edge-view holders)

The graders never count that part of the rim towards grade on Sacagawea dollars, so I dont think they will on these either.

Since part of the strike is now incused into the rim, I do believe the graders will take into account the third side of this particular coin. (hence the edge-view holders)

That's the worst side! Christo_pull_hair.gif

From the first two rolls I opened, I found two coins that look similar to yours though the flow lines are not as apparent. 22 rolls to go!

By the way, I just received my four P&D sets from the Mint today. Has anyone else received theirs? I don't think I'll tamper with any of those rolls.

I didn't realize that the Presidential $'s would be included in the Mint Sets. Are you sure about that? Geez, they'll have to make three cellophane packs and charge us $30. 893whatthe.gif

Chris

I can't find the link anymore but the answer is yes. The prez dollars will be in all the annual sets. There has been an increase in prices for all the sets to reflect this.

I am referring to the wide flat areas located on the obverse and reverse rims, not the edge.

I am referring to the wide flat areas located on the obverse and reverse rims, not the edge.

Oh...ok...got ya. You are correct about those two areas.

Now I read where there are examples where there is an extra curl in the Satue of Liberty's hair. What next? foreheadslap.gif

Nice find! Tough coins to find in good shape, and that one appears to be pretty much unharmed - just a few small hits on the rims. I'll be interested to see what it grades, if you send it in.

Hoot

I picked up two rolls at the bank yesterday. Spent a few minutes checking all of the edge lettering (about 50% Up/Down), then a couple of seconds glancing at the obverse. Based on the quick evaluation, I set aside 7 that might be 65 or better. I'll look at them later in more detail.

The other 43 went quickly at the bar, I gave about 5 out to friends, used 8 of them for tipping 2 different barmaids, and the others were sold for a $1 to the line of patrons that quickly formed. It caused a bar discussion that lasted for about 20 minutes. Although I encouraged people to spend them, most everyone was going to set it aside for their kids or grandkids.