• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

American Silver Eagle Sets

37 posts in this topic

I believe that to have a complete set of ASE in business strike (MS) condition it should include a 2006W coin

A "complete" set of Morgans would consist of all mint marks so why not the ASE?

Any opinions

These are bullion coins not intended for general circulation like the Morgan dollars. The term business strike does not apply. However, I feel that a complete set should include all coins, both proof and mint state. I don't consider any set complete without the 10th Anniversary, 1995-W, all of the 20th Anniversary coins, the 2006-P and the 2006-W (non-anniversary).

Chris

I guess it how you look at it. Most ASE sets are just year sets. I have 2 sets of ASE graded by NGC MS-69 from 1986 to 2006. No 2006W.

I saw a Complete set on EBAY - All Proofs - ALL MS - 10th - 20th Anniversarys' all Inclusive IN ORIGINAL mint packaging for $12,000 - 10th also included the GOLD - I didnt think that was a bad price ..

I guess it how you look at it. Most ASE sets are just year sets. I have 2 sets of ASE graded by NGC MS-69 from 1986 to 2006. No 2006W

That's because the ASE program has never had a year when two ASE's were issued. There will be great resistance to the idea that an MS set has to contain a 2006W to be considered 'Complete" because they only made about 459,000 2006W's.

Many of those will be kept in the 3 piece Silver Anniversary sets so relatively speaking, very few will be left for ASE set collectors.

Organizations like the Coin Vault will fight the inclusion of the 2006W.

I also agree that a "Complete" proof set of ASE's should include the 1995W and the 2006P reverse proof to be considered complete. BUT the same market forces will try to stop that because only 30,000 of the 95W were minted and only 250,000 of the reverse proofs were. That means if every 95W were slabbed as PFxxUCAM only 30,000 people on earth could have a complete ASE proof set. With millions of collectors, it won't be a popular idea but I believe that is how it should be.

The Coin Vault doesn't need to worry about selling complete sets. They are asking and getting more for one set than I paid for my two sets. makepoint.gif

Ultimately it's your set, so collect what you want! If you want to include it do so, if not then don't! Personally, I exclude it from my BS set since that set I collect by the roll and these were never sold in rolls (how's that for a twist!).

Ultimately it's your set, so collect what you want! If you want to include it do so, if not then don't! Personally, I exclude it from my BS set since that set I collect by the roll and these were never sold in rolls (how's that for a twist!).

Yes, I should have stated that the inclusion of ALL PF and MS SAE's is my personal preference, and others can set their own parameters.

"......these were never sold in rolls (how's that for a twist!)"

Those twist-off caps wouldn't fit on the rolls anyway.

Chris

I also collect by the roill so I bought 40 single coins from the mint and now I have two 2006W rolls.

I agree anyone can collect what they want but there is a major value thing here for those who add the 2006W to their sets.

I would agree with you Chuck. If your putting together a complete collection of the MS ASE's , the 06 W would be a must and also the key in the set to date.JMO.. Also, I anxious to see if that little blue velvet bag will make for some unique toning on them in a few years.

I believe the ANA should set the rules on what a complete set means. I don't necessarily agree that a complete set should include the proof and mint state coins. But can you imagine the value of having a 2006W in the mint state and the 1995W PF and 2006P Reverse proof in the proof set as the only accepted complete set?

Try and buy a MS69 2005W today. The price will make a 1996 coins seem like a passing little 2nd place key coin item.

, The KEY coin is the 2006W.

I believe the ANA should set the rules on what a complete set means. I don't necessarily agree that a complete set should include the proof and mint state coins. But can you imagine the value of having a 2006W in the mint state and the 1995W PF and 2006P Reverse proof in the proof set as the only accepted complete set?

Try and buy a MS69 2005W today. The price will make a 1996 coins seem like a passing little 2nd place key coin item.

, The KEY coin is the 2006W.

Are you looking for someone to redefine Complete™ so it doesn't mean "complete"?

I don't really see what the issue is. Any of the following would be very easy to understand.

• Complete set of ASEs: MS, PF, including 1995W PF, 2005W etc.
  • Complete set of MS ASEs
  • Complete set of PF ASEs
  • Set of MS ASEs missing key date(s)
  • Set of PF ASEs missing key date(s)
  • Set of individual issue MS ASEs
  • Set of individual issue PF ASEs (no 1995W, reverse proof, etc.)

Sure, the 1995W PF is expensive relative to the rest of the coins but it's not that expensive relative to many other coins out there. This just means that collecting a full set of ASEs is a minor challenge.

I believe the ANA should set the rules on what a complete set means.

I disagree. Each collector should decide for themselves what "complete" means. If anyone decides what's in a complete set, it's the album manufacturers.

I disagree. Each collector should decide for themselves what "complete" means.
I have no problem calling my sets "less than complete," "complete with qualifiers," or "complete enough for me." I don't feel a huge desire to say my set is complete when it isn't. What's the point?
If anyone decides what's in a complete set, it's the album manufacturers.
Don't forget the registries wink.gif

Rarity and value is the point. And how about plain honesty. Why isn't a 2006 W considered a American Silver Eagle just as any other ASE?

I go back to the Morgan collectors. A complete set for them is every mint mark and every date.

Chuck had some interesting points. I have a set of ASEs in a Whitman album and I consider it complete as it has the dates from 1986 thru 2007. I also have the 2006 W ASE, but I'm going to keep it in the mint box as what it is: a specially minted 20th anniversary ASE. It seems that with all the varities, the most sensible solution is to make up sets that you are comfortable with.

I respect your point and I respect a person collecting whatever they want however I would like to ask one question.

Why do you consider the 2006 W ASE a different coin not to be included in your set? What makes it special is the "W" mint mark.

I go back to Morgan collectors. I quess there could be 'CC" collectors or 'D" collectors or even 'S" or Philidelphia collectors. Each could say they have a complete set. Even a date only collector could say he has a complete set.

But when it comes to set registry perfection the only complete set must be all dates all mint marks in the highest grade possible.

So the mint decided to add a "W" ASE and sold it for $19.95 to the public. That doesn't sound so special to me. But the used car salesmen on TV are selling it for as much as $159.95 in MS69 because they are calling it a "Burnished Die," a special coin. IT's not, according to Jay Turner of NGC, and the Mint, all 2006 W ASE's regardless of how you bought them are burnished.

What does make them more valuable is the fact that only 459,000 were minted in sets and as individual coins. That is rarity and the price will surpass the 1996 as time goes by and faster if it is considered a requirement for a "COMPLETE" set of ASE's.

I just bought 20 more NGC MS69 2006W early releases for an average price of $67.00. I believe it will be the key coin in the future.

I disagree. Each collector should decide for themselves what "complete" means. If anyone decides what's in a complete set, it's the album manufacturers.

The only reason I mentioned the ANA was to set a rule on what a complete set is. You could have an asterisk "*" for missing 2006W or missing 1995W but I think it is important.

Even the registry for NGC and PCGS give more points for all the coins and type of coins collected. In a way they are agreeing with what I'm saying.

I just want to stop the TV hucksters from calling a set a complete set when it's not.

Someone on the Coin Vault must be getting a message. Last night they added the 2006W to the 1986-2007 ASE collection. But only as a "bonus" while they last.

The 2006W MS 69 and MS 70 are going to go through the roof whenn everyone starts realizing that will be the key coin for a complete set of ASE's

I've already bought 56 in the last week.

PS: I despise the Coin Vault, they're a rip off.

The ANA for deciding what someone calls a "complete set"?

They can't even decide their own story for their screwups the last couple of years.

No thanks!

It is up to each collector to decide. People use what is listed in the common price guides, what each registry lists, etc. They can be bound that way if they want but I think *I* will decide what is complete to me and what isn't.

Also,I don't think it is the "W" mintmark, at least to me, that makes these different. It is thatthey were issued BY the mint, not the "normal" way that the SAE uncs have been issued.

I do believe the 2006-w SHOULD be in a completed set....not any specific 2006-w (since I don't count the 2000 milennium as different than a 2000 "normal", though I did when I was starting out).

I do believe the 2006-w SHOULD be in a completed set....not any specific 2006-w (since I don't count the 2000 milennium as different than a 2000 "normal", though I did when I was starting out).

I guess we agree for different reasons. I also agree that any 2006W should be in a "completed" set, BUT, because it is a different coin regardless of how it was marketed.

I also agree the Millenium is not a requirement for a "completed" set because it is the same coin for the year, just marketed differently.

AS far as the ANA etermining what complete means, if they can't do that then let's run for office and fix the ANA.

Someone on the Coin Vault must be getting a message. Last night they added the 2006W to the 1986-2007 ASE collection. But only as a "bonus" while they last.

I had to laugh when I saw them do this, because by an amazing coincidence they had also raised the set price by $100 over the previous, non-2006-W set offering!

27_laughing.gif

Beijim

We should start an e-mail campaign to Coin Vault and get them to stop the double talk when talking about ASE sets.

1. All 2006W ASE are "burnished"

2. A 2006W should be part of any set considered a complete set.

3. They can charge what they want but should not be allowed to make such wild statements of their cost vs what they sell a set for.

4. Just stop the lies.

5. Get rid of Shawn

I hate Elliot Smith more than Shawn. Elliot knows ZERO about coins, yet he hosts the show! *spoon*... At least Shawn knows a little about what he's doing.

Let's face it, these guys aren't coin collectors, they are used car salesmen with more double talk I've ever heard.

Like:

"I can't guatrantee you'll find a 70 in this lot, but I can't guarantee you won't."

They just can't stop lying..

On the Coin Vault last night Robert Chambers claimed that because the 2006W was not issued in giant green boxes in 20 coin rolls they are somehow not a coin to be considered to complete a set of MS ASE's.

That was the point of this thread. They are an ASE coin issued by the US Mint and the method of marketing a coin should not have anything to do with the fact that it is a different coin for the year 2006.

2006 had two minted coins, the plain unmarked coin and the "W". This is important to understand because they only minted about 456,000 2006W ASE's and that fact will make it the most valuable of all ASE's.

For people who are serious collectors of ASE's, this could bring added value to our sets. If you haven';t bought your 2006W regardless if it was issued alone or as a 20th Anniversary Set, GET ONE!

2006 W ASE MS69 are now selling for about $90 each. In my opinion they are going up a lot more and will be the key coin for the "COMPLETE" set in the future.