• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will the 5th 1913 Liberty nickel grade? NGC?

18 posts in this topic

NGC? How would you grade this coin? My guess, it's a MS63, that's quite a nasty cut on the cheek. From the picture and the articles I've read, the luster, toning and other possible problems the coin may have has not been revealed. Has there been any talk of preserving the coin? Has anyone have more information? But I think it may end up in at least a MS64 holder. MS65 wouldn't surprise me either. Here's the coin as most have probably seen but what does it grade? Any opinions?

Image Hosting by Vendio

Click to view supersized image

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Reliable image hosting provided by Vendio. Unlimited images for $12.95.

Leo

Judging from the photo it looks to be no better than MS60. The reverse almost looks like it has been cleaned with steel wool at some point. Regardless, I'll bet they don't body bag it.

Keith, in my opinion, which is based upon inspection through glass and under terrible lighting conditions, the Walton example is inferior to the two certified pieces and better than the two uncertified ones.

I do think that grading is used to rank the coins. Theoretically, that is or should be what is done with all coins. It's much easier to do so, however, when dealing with a group of just five pieces, as in this case.

I still reserve judgement as to the coins authenticity. Upon examining the photos provided by CW. I would like to make note that the 9 in the date is not in line with bottom of the 1`s in 1913. The extra denticles to the left on the obverse and at the top of the reverse are peculiar to say the least. Also, notice the in depth details of this high grade coin yet where are the kernels to left corn ear of the reverse? As I read the column in CW in relation to the so called panel of experts. It seems there were three in this panel all of which had association with Bowers and Merena. Who by the way started this recent media treasure hunt and who also are seeking to be able to sell this coin at a $1,000,000+ price tag minus their commission of course. Many articles have been published recently on Mr. Walton and his 1913. Included in many of them were stories of him displaying an almost perfect fake coin in place of his supposedly genuine piece. To which most experts could not tell the difference. I wonder if after the sale of this coin if Bowers and Merena will be willing to guarantee this coins authenticity with a money back guarantee if it is determined to be a counterfeit at a later date?

I do think that grading is used to rank the coins. Theoretically, that is or should be what is done with all coins. It's much easier to do so, however, when dealing with a group of just five pieces, as in this case.

I kind of think that ranking them is a screwy idea. We have a grading standard for Liberty nickels. Let's use it for this coin. It's a PF60 and it has been harshly cleaned (i.e. bodybag it). Why rank the coin when we have thousands of them to judge this coins by (albeit a different date and admittedly different minting standards).

If the pictures were accurate and this coin were to grade PF63, I think it would truly suck. You've got thousands of collectors out there with harslhy cleaned examples of this design thinking their coin should grade the same. Becuase the mintage of their coin is 1,200 and this one is 5 there should be that much of a different standard?

I can understand letting super rarities into slab even if there are some problems, but this ranking is a bit much. Hell, why not make it easier on everyone. There are 5 of these coins. Lets just rank them as PF70/69/68/67/66 and be done with it. The best coin gets PF70 and the worst gets PF66. They are ranked.

The 1870-S $3 is unique. It's a damaged XF40 I believe. Oops, it's the finest known based on the ranking scale so it is now an MS70.

I personally think that if the owner of the 5th 1913 V Nickel wants it slabbed, then it SHOULD be slabbed, however any damage SHOULD be noted on the slab and the grade should be the technical grade for the piece, not a grade trumped up by the fact that it's the 1913 V Nickel. It's it's an impaired Proof-45, improperly cleaned, then put PR-45, Cleaned on the slab. I think that we collectors/dealers/etc will take that information in stride MUCH better than it coming back as a PR-64 simply because it's the 1913.

Greg, you and I are pretty much in agreement here. Like it or not, though, I believe that the super rarities are afforded extra leniency in their grading.

I don't like it and I think it's both ironic and unnecessary, as, in theory, at least, the rarer the coin, the less important the grade should be.

I heard from someone at the show, who might be in a position to know, that PCGS had paid to have the "newest" illegal coin holdered in a PCGS slab.

I agree, it is great advertising.

It's great, but it might backfire if the press starts to refer to the coin as being "harshly cleaned". It sure wouldn't be in the best interest of PCGS for this fact to get promoted.

The fact that PCGS paid to slab it only makes me think even more than this search was a hoax.

Why don't they simply submit it to ACG and be done with it? It'll come back PF70 DCAM, and we can get on with the ludicrous auction for a ludicrous payday. The grade and hammer price will equal one another in absurdity, and the new owner can feel justified in overpaying for a nickel.

Beijim