• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many coins are denominated in "Eagles"?

4 posts in this topic

I was looking through some pioneer gold images on coinfacts.com and ran across the Norris, Gregg & Norris half eagle which doesn't say "Five Dol.", it says "Half Eagle" which I think is just too cool.

norris_gregg_norris_5_dollars_obv.jpgnorris_gregg_norris_5_dollars_rev.jpg

Granted it says "Full weight of half eagle" not "half eagle" by itself but that doesn't diminish the coolness factor for me. What other coins/tokens have their denomination/weight in "eagles" instead of "dollars"?

this one probably does not say "dollars" because it's not a US MInt issued and there where legal issues.

does "Without Alloy" mean 24 karat? That's cool.

So basically, this coins says "Look at me! I'm 24k and contain the same amount of gold a a government issued five dollar gold piece!"

That's pretty cool.

I don't know of any other territorial or pattern pieces denominated as eagle, half eagle, etc. There was a pretty cool patter eagle in 1874 by Dana Bickford that had the denomination in dollars, francs, sterling, guilders, kroner and marks.

WaxonWaxov,

Actually, the private Gold Rush minters usually put "D" or "dollars" on their coins.

Also, I think "without alloy" in this case means that the coin contains "raw" gold (just as it came from the assayer), without any added copper or silver, but not that the gold in the coin is 24K.