• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you had to have ONE gold coin, what would it be?

28 posts in this topic

Something realistic in terms of affordability to the average collector who will go the s t r e t c h maybe, but still realistic.

What would it be?

I'm not a gold collector, used to be, shouldn't have sold, but now, I'm afraid to spend any money on it. But I've been fantasizing buying an affordable piece, one piece that has real collector value.

How much can the average collector afford for a stretch coin? We have collectors across the board here and I don't really know what's average.

There are a lot of sovereigns and similar issues that are available for less than $500. I believe that the South African proof gold pounds (same gold content) that are included in my series represent a good value. They cost about 1 1/2 to 2 times bullion and some of them have mintages around 500 pieces.

If a US coin for the same money, I would buy a circulated $10 Indian.

If a litle more money, the 1923 South Africa proof gold 1/2 and one sovereign. Mintage is 655 and price is about $1500 for the 1/2 and $2500 for the Sovereign.

I would buy a branch mint Saint from the 1920s (except the 23-D), the easiest being the 22-S, but certainly the 24-D and S, 25-D and 26-S are all obtainable.

If I could only have/be able to afford one gold coin it would be

one of three choices not necessarily in any order cloud9.gif

a gem proof ten dollar liberty ten dollar gold piece 1901-1907 with a strong cameo and with a thick original undipped skin 893applaud-thumb.gif as these daes are rare in cameo cloud9.gif

a nice choice au totally original crusty skinned 1860 clark gruber pikes peak mountain ten dollar gold piece cloud9.gifsexy cloud9.gifhistorical cloud9.gif

a really choice+ proof strongly cameoed civil war era 1861-1865 federal gold coin thumbsup2.gifflowerred.gifthumbsup2.gif

I would love to find a air-tight box full of 1933 doulbe eagles burined somewhere.

I would remove it from the USA, take pictures, send the pictures to the Secretary of the Treasury and say "neener neener neener"

I would love to find a air-tight box full of 1933 doulbe eagles burined somewhere.

I would remove it from the USA, take pictures, send the pictures to the Secretary of the Treasury and say "neener neener neener"

You'd also have to go to a place with no extradition treaty with the US, and that might be worse off that just surrendering them! Why not instead find a box full of nice 27-D saints, then at least you could sell them!

If I could only own a single gold coin, it would have to be either a HR 1907 Saint, or a Pan-Pac octagonal. Ideally, they'd be 67+.

MikeKing said he was looking for an affordable coin. I don't think a HR Saint or a Pan Pac $50 would be considered affordable by most collectors.

If I had to choose only a single gold coin, then I'd bust my butt and go for one of those. It depends on what one wants to do with the coin. Investment, go for a heavy gold coin. I heard the Canadian mint is putting out a $1,000,000 coin. Collector base? Get a saint, or something rare like the Pan Pac. I chose those because I'm a collector, not an investor. If Mike wants an affordable, desirable gold coin, go for the Saint.

MikeKing said he was looking for an affordable coin. I don't think a HR Saint or a Pan Pac $50 would be considered affordable by most collectors.
What's affordable here is subjective. Mike wrote "Something realistic in terms of affordability to the average collector who will go the s t r e t c h maybe, but still realistic." Different people may have different views of what the "average collector" can afford. There's also a very big difference between "can afford" and "is willing to spend" IMO, with "can afford" sometimes being much larger than "is willing to spend." By saying you can only choose one coin, the "is willing to spend" number may go up even if affordability is the same. This seems to be the case Chad is talking about.

Easy. A MS-67 1933 St. Gaudens double eagle that is LEGAL to own.

Although I would also love to own a wire rim dbl eagle also.

cloud9.gif

MM takeit.gif

A clean, AU58, Type 2 (1866-76) Coronet Double Eagle. They are rare but not too expensive. They are also hard to find in nice AU condition.

a nice unc. type two liberty double eagle

----------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------

a choice unc. strongly prooflike better date classic head quarter eagle flamed.gifyay.gifflamed.gifyay.gifflamed.gifyay.gifflamed.gif

oh my 893whatthe.gif

my hail.gif my hail.gif my hail.gif my hail.gif my hail.gif my hail.gif my hail.gif my hail.gif my hail.gif my hail.gif my my my my my my my my

My fantasy gold coin - would be a 1921 St Gauden's in MS 64.

I could settle for an AU 58 which would be a stretch for me financially

but I'd rather have a Mint State coin. [ Last I checked, a 1921 in MS 64

would run me 400K. ] 893whatthe.gif

My favorite gold Saint has always been the 1908-D With Motto. There's no particular reason, I just like the coins. If money were no object, hands down it would be the $50 octoganol Pan Pac. But based on bang-for-the-buck, I'd pick up a nice Classic Head $5.

proof gold would be out of my realm, even with the stretch, the panpac unreachable, but I'd LOVE to have a really nice original skinned $5 Classic Head .

proof gold would be out of my realm, even with the stretch, the panpac unreachable, but I'd LOVE to have a really nice original skinned $5 Classic Head .

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

I have one and it is one of my most cherished coins. If only I could find a matching little sister for her.

Mike----No person has mentioned the CC coins. So, I will put my thoughts on a CCtwenty. Having collected them years ago, I can attest to their constant rise in value. Pick any year---in decent grade with originality. It will continue to give you a profit forever. And, they are easy to sell. Bob [supertooth]