• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you avoid buying coins you like because they are common?

10 posts in this topic

I've found a number of coins that I like, both modern and pre-modern, where the coin is a more common piece that I feel I can pick up at any time. Because of that, I've been prioritizing coins that seem less available and have avoided acquiring some of the more common (though still somewhat pricey) coins that I like. Do you ever avoid (or delay the acquisition of) coins you like because they are abundantly available?

It depends. If I find a common coin I like, while at the same time pursuing a harder to find coin, I'll get the difficult one first. If I find the same common coin, and nothing else is being pursued, I'll get it.

I try to also prioritize my coin buying. If a common coin comes around that I really like and at a good price I will sometimes go ahead and buy it. If it just a average deal, I will stick to my priorities.

Delay the acquisition of – yes from time to time. If the coin can be bought at anytime I'll wait until the time is perfect for me. That said, I have bought and retained a few common coins. My wife and I like to own the state quarters from the states that we have lived together in for example…

I collect just about any coins I can afford. I have a heart for Morgans and S.E.'s though. But I'm looking at trying to get one each of some of the older common commemoratives and such.

if i was buying and i am not currently buying...............

Do you avoid buying coins because they are common?

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cloud9.gif

i only like scarce coins with a history and that are "special"

I like to wait until the price settles in for the ultra-modern which can take anywhere from 1 to 10 years from issue date. With few exceptions (and there are some exceptions) the trend is usually grossly down.

Assuming you could tell no difference between two identical issues, would you pay $150 for a PCGS PF70DCAM or $24 for a NGC PF70 Ultra Cam?

Would you think that the PCGS coin would hold ground at that high price over time or do you think it would drop to a value approaching the NGC coin?

Not at all. In fact, I've just started an EF/AU 7070 with which I'm going to concentrate on more common issues in order to make the rarer ones more affordable. A nice, clean, visually pleasing AU coin isn't exactly common after 100 years, regardless of mintage.