• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

morgan contamination

7 posts in this topic

I purchased this coin as is obviously(for what reason i do not remember), it appears someone had tried to clean the dark media off and only scratched the coin. can any repairs be made to this type damage?

thanks

jes 1880-Oobv_rev.jpg

From the pics it looks like alot of hairlines on this.Not much you can do with it. You can try dipping to remove the spotting but with the agressive cleaning that has been done will never really improve the coin. IMHO

In my personal experience, you'll have to mark this down as a lesson learned. Those scratches cannot be repaired. If it were to be sent in to almost any TPG, would come back in the dreaded "BB". The best you could do probably is leave it alone or send it to NCS for details grading. Depending on any VAM designation though, that would probably be cost prohibitive.

EEK! I'm out of ink. I've been writing these lessons down so I won't forget until I've ruined my best pen! 27_laughing.gif/col. hopefully, silver will go up to $16 so I might break even. I'm sure not sending it off.

thanks guys and gals if any.

jes

As you already know, this coin is only worth bullion and it would be foolish to send it anywhere and sink more money into it. If the hairlines, which appear significant, bother you then I would suggest carrying it in your pocket for a year or two as a pocket piece.

Really sorry to see that. Of course that may have happened by accident. In over a hundred year period there may have been a time when that coin was dragged accross something that made those scratches. The coin pretty much has had better days. What you may try as long as you have nothing to loose is using a dremel type tool, if you have one, and very lightly using a soft tipped bit try rubbing the face of the coin where the scratches are. This will naturally not cure this situation but should smooth out the scratches due to the softness of the metal. sort of like polishing a Silver plate. This will naturally leave those areas very shinning compared to the rest of the coin. Now dip it in something like Tarn-X to attempt to make the entire coin at least appear to be similar in color. Now here is the last suggestion. Purchase some gun bluing solution for a place like Walmart, Kmart, sporting supply house, etc. Again, lightly dab the coin with this solution on a cotton swab and allow to dry. If it still appears gross to your way of thinking, then the carrying it in a pocket should further make it more of a normal wear type coin. Anthing is worth a try you know.