• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I shipped my first package to Canada yesterday

13 posts in this topic

Nothing much to report, actually. I went in dreading customs forms, rejection of my packaging for some arcane reason, unexpected charges, that sort of thing. The PO lady just weighed it and told me I didn't need to fill out a customs form for something worth under $400. Shipped it by airmail for $1.70. I had a sense of, "That's it?" It was like going into the dentist for a root canal and waking up at your apartment with no pain and a tylenol taped to your forehead.

Is that a fact ? They make me do this all the time at my PO. That little green customs form. Even for a few dollar item. Not only that, many Canadians seem to know that it's coming and they invariably want me to lie about the value on the form.

Paul

I've only shipped one coin to Canada and it was for perhaps $75, yet I had to fill out the customs forms, too. Additionally, the coin was lost en route so I was out the money for the coin. However, approximately six months later, the coin showed up at the addressee's home with the package mutilated and inside of an official Canadian Postal Service plastic baggie complete with letter of apology from the post office for the delay and possible damage. The person who received the coin sent me a letter along with a check for payment, which was quite nice.

That's super cool WJ. Is this the northern version of the Pony Express? I wonder if there's a special name for dog sled delivery and if there are any commemoratives 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey WJ... what is that?

Also, what is the year on that postmark?

Scott hi.gif

It's a real cover from 1938 but I was Lampooning TomB's post about the package, 27_laughing.gif, my dog ate my homework.

He wrote: However, approximately six months later, the coin showed up at the addressee's home with the package mutilated and inside of an official Canadian Postal Service plastic baggie complete with letter of apology from the post office for the delay and possible damage.

The FDC did go via dog sled (for a short distance) then came the ski-doos (Bombadiers) I'm sure the Canadian PO is just as efficient as ours here in the US (now, where did I put those gorrilla gloves?) grin.gif

I've been told that if it looks like merchandise, then you'll need a customs form.

Canada has also become rather person_without_enough_empathyy about customs forms. If you put the value of $0 on it, your package is likely going to be returned to you.

Hi, All

I also ship collectibles, including coins, to various countries around the world and I always am required to fill out a customs form. A green one for items up to 4 pounds shipped US Air Mail- letter and a larger more detailed white one for over 4 pounds shipped US Air Mail-parcel. The value I place on the form is what the buyer paid for the item.

AAJ