• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questionable Authenticity?

16 posts in this topic

I guess it takes all kinds to make a world.

I garnered the next to last Lincoln cent I needed for my collection about six months ago, an 09-S VDB which had nice detail but not the best of finishes and more than it's share of wings and dings.

I've unfortunately taken to selling my collection since then and I sent the coin off (through a different dealer than the one from whom I purchased the coin) to ANACS for net grading. After looking the coin over, the dealer recommended sending it to NCS instead.

Just got the call - toe tagged as "questionable authenticity"

I will be taking it back to where I purchased it today. What are the chances I am going to get resistence to taking it back? Methinks the chances are high.

Opinions?

shyness is not one of my attributes, and my "request" for a full refund PLUS the cost of authenticating will be forceful.

Now, if they don't take it back, what is my recourse? Police Station?

Did they guarantee its authenticity. I would hope they did! If they have a return policy that no longer applies, I don't know if they are required to do anything, although they certainly should. Also, we don't know for sure if the coin is a fake, it's only questionable, so they may not have knowingly decieved you. In light of the grading services opinion, though, hopefully they will be able to refund you, or at least buy it back at a reasonable amount.

The law is one your side. They MUST take the coin back if it is fake. The only problem is that they can buy the coin back at the original purchase price which might be much lower than what it is today. They can offer to replace the coin at THEIR option.

I would not expect to get your certification fees back.

If you have any problems, find out if they are an ANA or PNG member.

Greg, the coin shop's "out" would be to simply declare the coin NOT to be the same as sold.

They could do that, but if the are ANA members they could get some sort of mediation. Also, he could take them to small claims court if they say that. Let a judge decide all the while costing the shop owner a day of his shop being closed.

considering the volume of business I have done with this outfit, that would be calling a known customer a liar. Bad idea.

The update is, I returned to the shop with the coin, and while I got what I perceived to be "good natured" resistence, a full cash refund was granted.

When it became obvious there would not be a problem getting a refund, I let the $12.00 for authentication slide.

The owner is out at Baltimore, so the "other guy" gave the cash refund. The owner is an unsavory guy in my opinion, and I think the discussion would have been more heated with him.

All is well that ends ok.

Glad to hear you got your dough back especially since it had been Some time since you had purchased.

Greg, the coin shop's "out" would be to simply declare the coin NOT to be the same as sold.

They could do that, but if the are ANA members they could get some sort of mediation. Also, he could take them to small claims court if they say that. Let a judge decide all the while costing the shop owner a day of his shop being closed.

Just remember you have to sue in the defendant's local. Plus, a couple of hours away from the shop might be enjoyable for the Dealer.

I've been to small claims. It's no longer the half day it used to be. You're pretty much hearded in and out quickly. It's not like what you see on Judge Judy. Each case usually takes two to five minutes.

Greg

At first, I laughed because I thought you said medication. 27_laughing.gif

But I have heard about ANA's guarantee of authenticity, if that's what it's titled. But to help avoid the plastic, buying from an ANA member who would verbably agree to a full refund if a coin proved to be fake makes sense. I can't remember if it's a year or a lifetime guarantee. I could probably find it on their website.

Leo

Just got the call - toe tagged as "questionable authenticity

well, is it or isn't it? have it authenticated. the guy you bought it from could do that. you could that. ncs could do that. once the question of authenticity is answered, than you can take the proper course of action. questionable authenticity is a meaningless remark.

I once purchased a coin that turned out to be bad from a company that had purchased that same coin at auction from a leading firm. I returned to the piece to that company, and they took it back to the same leading auction house. To make a long story short, the auction house made good on the coin almost a year after the sale.

My advice is to not be shy and follow up on this, but first you will need to prove that it is a counterfeit by having it come back in a body bag with that notation. The company should make good on this coin.

ONE more piece of advice. As a collector NEVER NEVER buy a 1909-S-VDB or any other frequently counterfeited, key date coin that has not been certified by a leading company (PCGS, NGC or ANACS).

Just got the call - toe tagged as "questionable authenticity

well, is it or isn't it? have it authenticated. the guy you bought it from could do that. you could that. ncs could do that. once the question of authenticity is answered, than you can take the proper course of action. questionable authenticity is a meaningless remark.

As I clearly stated in my original post, I sent to NCS and came back with a toe tag - questionable authenticity - from NCS.

NCS says the authenticity is in question.

having it authenticated by the dealer, as opposed to NSC doesn't seem very smart

ONE more piece of advice. As a collector NEVER NEVER buy a 1909-S-VDB or any other frequently counterfeited, key date coin that has not been certified by a leading company (PCGS, NGC or ANACS).

Couldn't be said better. Whether it's an S-VDB cent or a 16-D Merc dime, and whether you want the coin in AG or MS, it's worth getting it certified, even if you plan on cracking it out for an album when you get it.