• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1891 S Morgan - Dipping or ???

10 posts in this topic

I have an 1891 S Morgan that upon close examination you can see what I am calling light shadows which lie between the letters of the obverse and the outside edge of the coin. In other words on the bottom letters of the obverse it shows between the bottom edge of the letters and the edge of the coin and on the top letters of the obverse it lies between the tops of the letters and the edge. Is this a sign of what they call dipping by someone or could this be something else. These areas of obviously of less lustre than the rest of the coin.

Thanks,

rbrown4

1661671-IMG.jpg.53e6c948a1af7d096d40eea9dc750bb9.jpg

1661671-IMG.jpg

I cannot tell you if the coin has been dipped at one point in its life or not. But what you describe is not caused by dipping. Usally toning causes this and you see the shadow as mentioned.

I have now and have previously owned many morgans with this near same toning. I personally do not like it, but have found many do like it as was proven come time to sell.

Does anyone know the approximate year that the practice of coin dipping began?

I heard some ancient Roman soldiers dipped thier coins in wine to cleans them from all the dirt they usually found them in. Not known for cleanliness back then you know. Therefore that means coin dipping or cleaning started about 2 to 3 thousand years ago. I'd have to go back there to verify that story though.

For sure dipping or cleaning coins has been going on for a long, long time. You have to remember way, way back it was better to have a clean, pretty, shining coin than a coin with all kinds of icky stuff on it.

I read somewhere, (and I'm not sure this is what is happening here). that the metal at the bases that you are talking about, is of a slightly different composition than the metal elsewhere (by virtue of some physics law or something) and therefore it will tone differently.