• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading a scratched coin

12 posts in this topic

Officially, PCGS will not grade any problem coins, but sometimes, scratched coins will be graded. However, the problem will be factored in to the assigned grade. Whether or not the coin will make it depends on the degree of the problem, the rarity of the coin in question, and the overall desirability of the coin with the problem.

NGC does. I have a seated dime w/ arrows that has a significant staple scratch on each side. NGC graded it 63. I had it sent in for a review. They noted that it would have been gem but was 63 because of the scratches.

Does PCGS grade/slab scratched coins?

Um, you want across the street and one floor up. wink.gif

As has been said, it depends. How big is the scratch? How deep? Where on the coin? What coin? How rare is the coin?

Greg, it also appears the RARITY of the coin matters too. Remember that PCGS scratched up (and cleaned) VG or so 1796 Bust quarter?

If that was any other coin it would have been tagged and bagged.

Yeah, rarity matters if it's bad. It seems that ugly quarter shows up often too.

I've got a common date Morgan in MS-65 with a staple scratch across the eagle's breast. A local dealer told me that it would be a 66 without the scratch, and was net graded when holdered.

Greg, it also appears the RARITY of the coin matters too. Remember that PCGS scratched up (and cleaned) VG or so 1796 Bust quarter?

If that was any other coin it would have been tagged and bagged.

Yes, I know rarity is part of the equation. That's why I said "How rare is the coin?". smile.gif

There is a rare territorial gold piece in a PCG$ slab which when sold was listed as something like: whizzed, cleaned, tooled, mount removed....

The coin I was referring to was a 1916D Merc in AU that was slabbed by NGC and auctioned off by Bowers & Marina. I just didn't know that they would slab a scratched coin. I always thought it would be body bagged.

There was an 1807 NGC VF35 Draped Bust Half Dollar that was an R.7 variety floating around in the Heritage auctions a couple years ago. It had someones initialls carved into Liberty's face and the right obverse field! Large, deep letters!Also, the coin looked like a VF35 without the problem, so I don't know if they even took anything off the grade! This coin was unacceptable, in my opinion.

The coin I was referring to was a 1916D Merc in AU that was slabbed by NGC and auctioned off by Bowers & Marina. I just didn't know that they would slab a scratched coin. I always thought it would be body bagged.

If it is the one currently in the sale, the scratch doesn't look too bad, but their pictures are too bright to tell for sure.

A 1916-D in AU will get a lot of wiggle room on a scratch or other minor problem. It's a $5000 coin and it looks good in your company slab - whatever company that may be.

I've personally held and examined a scratched up, dinged and slightly bent 1796 quarter in a PCGS AG3 holder and the coin did not have the details of a FA2.