• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington Dollar Error Find in Tallahassee...

13 posts in this topic

It was the same thing with the Sacagawea dollars in 2000. I remember people buying rolls and rolls because of some minting errors or varieties. IMHO it’s a ploy to get these coins out of the banks and into the pockets of the average American.

What better marketing plan than to thrown in a couple of error coins and have it make headlines around the country. It’s a good strategy and I think wholly intentional.

He offered the bank $50 for five of the coins. It wasn't immediately clear exactly how many of the coins are circulating in Tallahassee.

What a Loser and a Snake!

It was the same thing with the Sacagawea dollars in 2000. I remember people buying rolls and rolls because of some minting errors or varieties. IMHO it’s a ploy to get these coins out of the banks and into the pockets of the average American.

What better marketing plan than to thrown in a couple of error coins and have it make headlines around the country. It’s a good strategy and I think wholly intentional.

Perhaps a stupid question, but isn't this illegal?

My wife just went and picked up 2 more rolls. We opened searched and all I found was a small chip on one of the 0's, oh yea, besides alot of scratched up coins.

I live in Daytona Beach, and I got two rolls from the bank. I opened them up, hoping for something like this. The only really interesting thing I found was a serious die clash, obverse and reverse. On the reverse, you can see the complete outline of George's face, including eyes. On the obverse, you can see the rays in Liberty's hat. It looks like George is wearing a studded collar (George has gone Goth!)

Perhaps a stupid question, but isn't this illegal?

Even if it was done intentionally--it makes for a good conspiracy theory but I don't think it's true--why would it be illegal?

Scott hi.gif