• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I thought I just died and went to heaven!

24 posts in this topic

Instead, I just died with envy!

A very close friend of mine who shares the joy of coin-collecting met me at a local poolroom this afternoon. He was holding something in his closed hand, and he told me to close my eyes and hold my hand open. I assumed that he would be putting some kind of coin in my hand, so I tried to guess what it was by the feel and weight. The weight and size of it felt like it might be a quarter. I was holding it by the edge, but I couldn't feel any reeding. Finally, I opened my eyes and I couldn't believe that I was looking at this............................................

1656951-IMG_1424.JPG1656951-IMG_1426.JPG

It always pays to have a good rapport with your local bank tellers. In this case, she happened to break open a bank-wrapped roll of Presidential Dollars, and this was inside. She set it aside and saved it for my friend, and I am dying, dying, dying with envy. This has got to be one of the coolest error finds of the year.

Chris

1656951-IMG_1426.JPG.7ed61d62884b858afd9d6932585f7cec.JPG

Does it have the edge lettering? angel.gif
If it has edge lettering, can you get it slabbed as a GW before the rest of the Presidential dollars come out?

Nice find!

smile.gif Nice find.

Joe

Well, this would be nice to have edge lettering, Fred Wienberg wants to see one. If he's interested, then there is reason this would be an important find.

smile.gif Nice find.

Joe

It doesn't have any edge lettering. The only conclusion I can draw is that it made it past the coining chamber and some mint employee removed it from the conveyor and accidentally (or, maybe purposely) threw in the wrong bin.

I sent Fred Weinberg an e-mail with photos, and I suggested that my friend should have it authenticated and encapsulated.

Chris

How incredibly cool! If I remember right, the edges are lettered after the coin is struck, hence no edge lettering.

p.s. There is no particular orientation to the lettering, either, since the coins are fed "as is" in regards to heads or tails up.

Way cool grab ! As far as I know there would be no way to tell if it is a blank Pres. or Sac....is there? Super nice error piece either way. I see the "missing edge lettering" bay coin ended up going at 610 bux ! I think I would be tempted to get either one of these errors authenticated, then sit on it for a while $$$... CC

Is there a market for blank planchets or is it just the novelty of being one of the new dollars?

I have 2 blank Lincoln Penny planchets, one is pre-82, the other is post... kept them because they caught my eye, didn't think they had any value... I guess the pre-82 is up to at least 1.8 cents since copper spiked again today.

Way cool on your friend's find -- maybe I will go harrass the tellers at the main branch for a couple of rolls on Monday... better get on the error hunt before the mint cleans up it's act like it did with the state quarters.

Way cool grab ! As far as I know there would be no way to tell if it is a blank Pres. or Sac....is there? Super nice error piece either way. I see the "missing edge lettering" bay coin ended up going at 610 bux ! I think I would be tempted to get either one of these errors authenticated, then sit on it for a while $$$... CC

If they were found in a batch of only Prez dollars then context dictates that it's a Presidential dollar. If it was a mixed batch then who knows.

If they were found in a batch of only Prez dollars then context dictates that it's a Presidential dollar. If it was a mixed batch then who knows.

Would the new bank rolls of Prez dollars be mixed with the Sacs? I wouldn't think so. It almost certainly has to be a Prez planchet. Of course now that it is out of the roll, could be tough to prove.

Are planchets from both series identical? Either way, a very cool find. thumbsup2.gif

Chris----When I first read this, all I could think of was that someone had found that ANA medal that you were looking for---an 1981 wasn't it?? I never remember you ever saying that you had found one.

At any rate, this is a nice find. Certainly something for all of us to appreciate. Bob [supertooth]

If they were found in a batch of only Prez dollars then context dictates that it's a Presidential dollar.

You're a grader at the grading service and this comes in. (look at the picture) Now that image is ALL that you have to go on. Can you say that it is a Washington planchet? No.

Ok so the submitter included a note saying that it came from a roll or Washingtons. Does the grader see that note? If he does can he just accept their word for it considering that there are a lot of Sac planchets already out there? In both cases the answer is No. So they would NOT be able to slab it as a Washington planchet. The only way they could would be if it came in in an unopened roll.

great post, I hope it gets identified and encapsulated. I know nothing about modern dollars, what is the composition of the Sacagawea (sp?) and the new Presidential dollars. Are they clad coins?

Sac Dollar Composition: 88.5% Copper, 6% Zinc, 3.5% Manganese, 2% Nickel

Prez Dollar Composition: 88.5% Copper, 6% Zinc, 3.5% Manganese, 2% Nickel

Identical, according to the Mint.

Something else interesting, I snipped this from Wiki:

Though the Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2005 authorized a new dollar coin program featuring the Presidents of the United States, it also assures for now the future of the Sacagawea dollar. At least 1/3 of the dollar coins issued in each year of the program must be Sacagawea dollars; furthermore, the Sacagawea design is required to continue after the program ends. These requirements were added at the behest of the North Dakota congressional delegation to ensure that Sacagawea, whom North Dakotans consider to be one of their own, ultimately remains on the dollar coin.

Federal Reserve officials have indicated to Congress that "if the Presidential $1 Coin Program does not stimulate substantial transactional demand for dollar coins, the requirement that the Mint nonetheless produce Sacagawea dollars would result in costs to the taxpayer without any offsetting benefits." In that event, the Federal Reserve indicates that it would "strongly recommend that Congress reassess the one-third requirement."Conversely, however, if the presidential coin program and other provisions of the Presidential $1 Coin Act (such as the requirement that Federal agencies and other entities under Federal jurisdiction accept dollar coins by 2008) do generate demand for dollar coins in circulation, the one-third requirement would likely lead to improved circulation for the Sacagawea dollar as well."

Quotes are taken from "Proceedings of the Subcommittee on Domestic and International Monetary Policy, Trade, and Technology, Committee on Financial Services, U.S. House of Representatives. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve Board System" July 19, 2006.

Presidential Dollar

The size, weight and metal composition of the new Presidential $1 Coin will be identical to that of the Sacagawea Golden Dollar. The coin is composed of the same material as the Sacagawea coin: These dollar coins are made on the same planchets as the Sacagawea Golden Dollars, with one important difference - they have edge lettering.

88.5 percent copper,

6 percent zinc,

3.5 percent manganese and

2 percent nickel.

Sacagewea Golden Dollar

Composition Manganese-Brass

88.5% Cu

6% Zn

3.5% Mn

2% Ni

Weight 8.1 g, Diameter 1.043 in., 26.5 mm Thickness, 2.00 mm Edge Plain, No. of Reeds N/A

""Presidential Dollar coins are made on the same planchets as the Sacagawea Golden Dollars""

This particular statement is not from the Mint website but from a very reliable source...seems the planchets are one in the same, can be used for both!

If they were found in a batch of only Prez dollars then context dictates that it's a Presidential dollar.

You're a grader at the grading service and this comes in. (look at the picture) Now that image is ALL that you have to go on. Can you say that it is a Washington planchet? No.

Ok so the submitter included a note saying that it came from a roll or Washingtons. Does the grader see that note? If he does can he just accept their word for it considering that there are a lot of Sac planchets already out there? In both cases the answer is No. So they would NOT be able to slab it as a Washington planchet. The only way they could would be if it came in in an unopened roll.

Okay, they could authenticate it as a Sacawash planchet.

Chris

That is very interesting. What it looks like to me is a blank South Africa ZAR KAALPOND although the chances of a gold coin ending up in circulation are essentially zero. These coins survived blank because the Boers never had a chance to strike coins from them as I recall. You can check some recent sales of these cons on Heritage.com. In any event, it looks too worn to me to be a new coin blank.