• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Money Museum

4 posts in this topic

I posted this earlier under a different thread, but thought I might have a better chance of an answer if I started a new thread. Here it is:

Years ago (about 1974) in Memphis Tennessee (at Union Planters Bank downtown, I think) there was a fantastic display of error coins (I think it was the bank president's private collection put together over 50 years). It was called "The Money Museum". Does anyone know if it is still there ?

I have absolutely no clue, however, at the bank where I currently do business, Chelsea Groton Savings Bank, there is a display of state quarters in a wooden box and the display looks quite handsome. I am quite certain that this display does belong to one of the bank employees.

At the Wells Fargo downtown here in Seattle, they have several historical displays of old checks, invoices, delivery documents etc, but they have one with an old Morgan dollar and an 1857 $20 gold piece. That's always my favorite one to look at when I stop by the bank!

I don't know anything about this particular museum but I would be surprised if it survived the many banking mergers of the past 20 years. Today's mega-banks are not interested in coin collections. There was a large coin museum in the National Bank of Detroit for many years. It is long gone now, the contents having been auctioned off.