• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q from a potential eBay BIN'er....

Should you wait a couple of weeks for payment on an eBay BIN?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Should you wait a couple of weeks for payment on an eBay BIN?

22 posts in this topic

I said no. Sounds like more trouble that it would be worth. If they have a credit card, then let them buy it with paypal and then they can ask their creditors to wait a few weeks for payment.

I've waited more than a couple of weeks for payment before, given prior arrangements. In fact, I gave one bidder layaway terms once on a high-grade bust half-dollar. I think it's good customer service.

I think it really depends on how badly you need the money, is the the potential buyer going to set a bid that would make the wait worthwhile, and the type of customer service that you would like to portray to other potential buyers with your feedback.

I think it really depends on how badly you need the money, is the the potential buyer going to set a bid that would make the wait worthwhile, and the type of customer service that you would like to portray to other potential buyers with your feedback.

I forgot also, whether the potential buyer has good positive feedback too.

If it's a repeat customer that has always been prompt and been good to deal with I would give them the benifit of the doubt at least once.I feel that is just good customer service. If it is a first time buyer, I would have to take a lot of other things into consideration.Like the value of the coin in question and his feed back history. But they definetly would not recieve the coin till payment had cleared no matter what the circumstances. JMO.... CC

I wound up "politely declining", since its a fair amount of money (one of my biggest individual sales), and this person's only been on eBay a few months.

Now he's responded to me asking to end the auction early (it's only a day old) for an offer 20% less than my current BIN. OK... if I couldn't wait "a couple weeks" for full payment, why would one think I'd wait for 20% less?

I originally voted "No" this morning, however, this is somewhat hypocritical of me because I have asked a similar question of an ebay seller and they cooperated with me, which allowed me to obtain a truly wonderful coin.

About seven years ago a seller had an original, attractive, PCGS-graded early Federal piece that I was very interested in, but I did not have the money in-hand at that time. I sent the seller an email asking what his reserve was and, if the reserve was acceptable to me, if he would hold the coin for me for approximately three months if it did not sell in the current auction. He agreed and I sent him two personal checks; one check for 60% of the sales price that could be cashed immediately and one check for 40% of the sales price that could be cashed in three months. He cashed neither check immediately and waited until the agreed upon date to cash both checks at one time. He then sent the coin via FedEx and it was gorgeous.

Our mutual trust for one another, as well as our good feedback and communication skills, allowed him to sell his coin at approximately 15% over Greysheet and allowed me to obtain a coin that would be far out of my reach at today's levels. So, this might work.

Depends on the coin, the buyer, and the price.

Normally I'd say "no".

I did, however, do a two month layaway last year that turned out to be be a little more trouble than I had hoped. Slow pay, no communication after the deposit, etc...

Fortunately it was for a real ugly coin that I was happy to be rid of at the price paid.

I can't say much. I just asked a seller if I could purchase a coin last nite and pay for it on thurs. It was a buy it now. He had no hesitation. He is actually on our forum. (ibyandsellsmith)

I can't say much. I just asked a seller if I could purchase a coin last nite and pay for it on thurs. It was a buy it now. He had no hesitation. He is actually on our forum. (ibyandsellsmith)

There's a big difference between Two weeks and three days. I think most people would be OK with three days.

Recently I have been putting "immediate payment required" on BIN to prevent a certain person who lives in Boston from creating a new Ebay account just so he can BIN my items and never pay.

Recently I have been putting "immediate payment required" on BIN to prevent a certain person who lives in Boston from creating a new Ebay account just so he can BIN my items and never pay.

I think you have mega paranoia issues.

I think you have mega paranoia issues.

dude, tell that to the $200 in seller fees I've lost because on this one particular person.